litter box problems

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got my 3-week-old grey tabby yesterday, and we have a big cardboard box for a litter box. I have put her in the box several times and tried to get her to go to the bathroom, but she just climbs out of it. As far as I know she hasn't gone to the bathroom at all in 2 days, not in the litter box nor anywhere else. Is that normal?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your kitty is really just 3 weeks old, it may not be able to go potty on its own. Generally, kittens stay with their mother until 10 or 12 weeks old! Check with whoever gave you the kitten, and see if it is 3 months instead of 3 weeks.

If it is only 3 weeks, you will need to rub its bottom with a cotton ball dipped in warm water to make it go potty. It will also need to be bottle fed kitten formula!

My foster cat just had kittens March 14th, and they will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. They are just starting to walk, and they mostly lay with their Mom all day and nurse.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your kitty is 3 months old, not 3 weeks old, s/he may need a smaller litterbox with lower sides as its little legs may not be long enough for it to crawl over the sides to get into the box. Try a cake pan (9"x13") or a cookie sheet that has sides on it.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I think my kitty really is three weeks old. That's what the worker at PetsMart said, anyway. It's about the size of the palm of my hand. And I tried to bottle feed it but it wouldn't suck, just grinded at the nipple with its side teeth. But thanks for the cottonball thing, I'll definitely try that.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some links about kitten care.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74659

A three week old kitten has little chance of survival without its mother. And if it is not taking a bottle, how is it getting any food? Do you have adoption papers that came with the kitten? My foster agency does adoptions at Petsmart, and each kitten comes with information on how to care for them, and who to call with questions. I recommend you call whoever the kitten came from, and get more information.

Here is a pic of my foster litter. Pics were taken Saturday, and they are three weeks old today.

I'll try to get another posted to show their size. They still wobble when they walk, and tip over easily!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've been given great advice thus far. If your kitten is, in fact, only 3 weeks old, she is far too young to be away from her mother and will require constant care. As mentioned, she still may need to be stimulated to potty as would normally be done by her Mommy cat. Not urinating or pooping will become fatal. No, it's not at all normal for a cat not to potty for two days. Please take her to the Vet for a thorough exam, to confirm her age, and learn more about the type of care she needs.

With the proper care, kittens this age often thrive wonderfully. My Sierra was just a few days old when we met, and Serenity was almost 3 weeks old, just like your little one.

Congratulations on your new member of your family and thank you for wanting the best for her. She's a precious baby and completely depending on you!

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am absolutely stunned that Petsmart would allow you to adopt a 3 week old kitten (and without detailed instructions)! That makes me really mad. (not at you, but at the shelter who allowed Petsmart to adopt out a 3 week old kitten- it should have gone to a rescue or foster care first)

As mentioned before, a 3 week old kitten will need your constant care...too much to mention here and all of it critical to the kittens survival, I would definitely print out all of the info from the above links, they are really great resources.

Good luck to you and your precious little kitten.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a pic from today of my 3 week old kittens. You can see they are about twice as long as a deck of cards!

I weigh them daily, and one hadn't gained for several days, so although he looks healthy and strong, I supplemented him with formula tonight. I have had trouble bottle feeding in the past, so this time I used a syringe. That is the plastic part only, no needle attached. I just filled it with kitten formula, and started squirting it in his mouth. He eagerly lapped it up, then turned his head away when he was done.

I don't think they will start kitten food for at least another week. Mine weigh between 8.8 and 11.8 ounces. Best of luck with your little one!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by marbles902

No, I think my kitty really is three weeks old. That's what the worker at PetsMart said, anyway. It's about the size of the palm of my hand. And I tried to bottle feed it but it wouldn't suck, just grinded at the nipple with its side teeth. But thanks for the cottonball thing, I'll definitely try that.
I'm surprized as well that Petsmart would adopt out a kitten that young. In Virginia, kittens cannot be placed until they reach 7/8 weeks of age. At 3 weeks, your little one hasn't quite got the hang of a litterbox..that is something that would come in a couple of weeks and mom would actually be cleaning this kitten still at this age. I'm also concerned because a kitten that young does require a LOT of feedings. Please let us know how it goes.

Katie

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I didn't get it from PetsMart - we got it from someone who lives really far away. They had a stray cat in their neighborhood, and one day the stray cat dropped some kittens on their doorstep so obviously the mother cat doesnt want them anymore.
I have two kitties and they both lick milk from a platter. Is that okay?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cow's milk is not the best for cats. It may upset their little tummies and give them diarrhea. You can try goat's milk or KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) which are both easily purchased (goat's milk at the grocery story or KMR at a pet store).

Also, you might want to try a little human baby food. Chicken or turkey meat only - no veggies and especially no onions or onion powder which can cause a very serious health issue called Heintz Body Anemia. Just gently warm the jar of baby food in a bowl of hot water or in the microwave until it is WARM - not HOT. Smear it on a saucer and see if the babies will lap that up.

As for the pottying ... the Kitten Rescue site (link provided above) is a great place to learn how to stimulate kittens. Although, if they are eating on their own, then they should also be ready to learn how to use the litter as well. After you have stimulated and you have a tissue with some poop on it, put the tissue in the litter box so that they understand that is what that silly box is for. *grin*

I am appalled that ANYONE could be cold enough to put a 3 week old kitten into a new home, but since that's evidently what happened here, the best we can do is to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. Feel free to post them here and we will try to do the best we can to assist. For now, just keep the baby warm and comfortable, make sure the skin on her little belly is stretched tightly across the tummy, not wrinkled or saggy and be her surrogate Mommy.

We are all here for you if you need us.

~gf~

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, I didn't get it from PetsMart - we got it from someone who lives really far away. They had a stray cat in their neighborhood, and one day the stray cat dropped some kittens on their doorstep so obviously the mother cat doesnt want them anymore.
Wow your story sounds so similar to a friend of mine. She was at Petsmart and the cashier asked if she was looking for a kitten. She said she had found an abandoned kitten in the garbage (a lot of strays around). She said they couldn't keep it and thought it were sure it was about 3 weeks old.

It turns out it was more around 5 weeks old but she took the kitten and is now a part of my friends family and learning to make friends with a ferret :p .

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my kitty's little sister Misty. She was dropped by the stray cat 2 days after we adopted Marbles and we decided that two cats were better to raise than 1 so we got her. She's a pale shade of khaki all over and is larger and stronger than Marbles. But she hasn't used the litter box while Marbles has pooped on her legs (eww) and we've been applying cottonballs to both of them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Marbles....not sure where you live...but the best thing this person who gave you the kittens could do is to get a hold of a humane trap and trap mom so she can be spayed. Unfortuanately she will simply become pregnant again if she is not spayed and doesn't she deserve an opportunity to live without having to have litter after litter??

Katie

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might be helpful if you call some foster agencies in your area, for advice by or e-mail from someone who has experience with young kittens. Maybe there is someone nearby to mentor you as you raise your babies.

Here is a link from Petfinder to the rescues near you...are any close by?
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi

I am so glad to hear your kittens are doing well!

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been having to chase my kittens around with a cottonball...every time they see it they cringe.
here's a picture

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... they really *are* young. I would guess 4 weeks rather than three, but quite young...

Have you taken them to a vet? Stray kittens that young are likely enough to have health problems, even if it's just ear mites or something of that sort...