Litter box problem solved?

njtom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 15-month old cat suddenly began peeing outside the litter box. It was in the same room, but in different places. Took her to the vet, nothing wrong (although he is prescribing medication just in case.)  Our litter box was a tall Rubbermaid container; the cat would jump in and out. No problems until this week, when she started avoiding it for #1 (#2 wasn't an issue.)

The box was old, so we decided to switch things up. We got a brand-new box, the kind with one tall side and one short side that the cat can step into.  Got a new mat for underneath, one that isn't so long. Fresh litter.  Basically, we provided a brand-new litter box setup.   When the cat saw it, she sniffed around a bit, got into the box, and peed!  Note that she had already peed twice the same morning in other parts of the room.

Could it have been as simple as that? Providing a new, clean litter box that is easy to get into?  I hate to get my hopes up, but the fact that she used it right away is making me cross my fingers.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be. 
 In my experience though, other than health (and a sudden change in the household), another reason for a sudden inappropriate toilet behavior is a dirty cat litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njtom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: cat has used the new litter box three or four times for all her "business", with no problems, so I think we're good now.

Although we always scoop litter daily, there must have been something about the old box itself  that caused the cat to avoid it for peeing all of a sudden.   I used to wash it outside because it was a big Rubbermaid container, and sometimes I would leave it outside, so who knows -- maybe it picked up some sort of odor, or maybe the cat didn't like the weathered appearance, or maybe the cat suddenly decided that jumping into a 15-inch box is too much work just to pee... who knows?   We also cut down on the amount of litter; I think we made it too deep at times. No more than three inches now.

The new box is smaller, so I'll be able to wash it in the washing machine sink and keep it fresh-looking. Plus, I bought two of them, so I have a backup. I assume these plastic boxes eventually retain a smell, so I guess I'll just get a new one every so often.