Litter Box Pouncing.

amaruuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read a few threads from a few sites now that say 'oh it's just play, put down another box and it'll be fine'.
However, this is ramping up and it's not fine. :(

I have an 8 yr old amazing female resident kitty. Pretty shy. She still doesn't entirely want to play with him after 6 months, but they don't fight. She'll hiss and run away (which of course provokes him), but there's never an all out fight. She'll hit him hard enough that he tilts his head for a few hours, and he stops.

The new boy, we think he's 2 but vets have opinions up to 10 yrs old when they look at his teeth. He came from a very abusive, cat hoarder. He's come so far in 6 months, actually letting me sleep more than an hour at a time now. I expect him to take at least a year to really settle in and get rid of his food anxiety and issues around sleep.

However.
Every time the female goes into the litter and starts scratching, he loses his damn mind.
He stalks her in there, pounces, chases her for the next 5 minutes like he's a cat possessed. He didn't originally do this when I got him, this is relatively new behaviour in the last 2 months. But he's getting worse.

I scold him, shake a jar of pennies at him to break his focus on her, but it rarely works. He's played with right now upwards of 3 hrs a day to try and wear him out, along with automated toys as well.

There are 3 litterboxes in the house, all in different corners. One is covered, one is tall but open, one is shallow. They're all pretty big (those big storage bins with entryways cut in 2 places for lots of escape routes). It does not matter what else this cat is doing, the moment he hears her scratching, it is ON.

How do I get him to stop? He gets OCD-level focused and I cannot seem to snap him out of it when I see him doing it. My girl is amazing, she hasn't stopped using any of the litters yet but I'm afraid she will with him constantly badgering her like this. [edit: we have had accidents when she's mid-poop and he does this. Poor girl will run around with it half hanging out her butt until she has a moment's peace to drop it. She'll try to do it in the litter again, but if he's still at level 10, she'll drop it at least closeby]

Any advice on deterring him?
Thanks all!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Bless your older kitties heart!!
What happens if you replicate that sound elsewhere?
I'm wondering if you can duplicate that sound again and again, even record it and play that a lot, everywhere throughout the house, maybe you'll be able to eventually desensitize him

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Off the top of my head, the only thing that came to mind was separating them and doing complete re-introduction. However, since it's the litter box that seems to trigger his behaviour that might not even work.

I like Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestion. And maybe it might help. :crossfingers:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'd also be concerned about her eventually not using the boxes.

Would it be possible for you to put a microchip-activated cat flap (or one with a "collar key") in a door so that she's the only one able to access a certain room and litter box? He might waylay her outside the room, but she would be able to use the litter box in peace and just hang out in the room till he got distracted or bored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amaruuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm wondering if you can duplicate that sound again and again, even record it and play that a lot, everywhere throughout the house, maybe you'll be able to eventually desensitize him
That is brilliant, I will try that!

amaruuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd also be concerned about her eventually not using the boxes.

Would it be possible for you to put a microchip-activated cat flap (or one with a "collar key") in a door so that she's the only one able to access a certain room and litter box? He might waylay her outside the room, but she would be able to use the litter box in peace and just hang out in the room till he got distracted or bored.
Not in a door, no. I'm in a rental unit. I wonder if there are chip activated cat flaps I could use on that one litter though.

amaruuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, something else I'm attempting while I'm home at least - when I see my girl head off to the litter, or hear her in there, I'll try to keep the lil hellcat by my side and give him tons of pets and love and coos, while keeping him focused on me instead of her. Love is a big distractor for him. He hasn't had very much of it in his short life.

I will try recording the noise and throwing him off, desensitizing him to it this week as well.

This cat, I'm tellin' ya, he's worse than a toddler.
Last week, he figured out how to open drawers and now it looks like the damn 6th Sense kitchen movie scene every time I walk in there (all the drawers wide open, silently).
And he drags all the spoons out. For some reason.
SPOONS!
Little cat, seen dragging my spoons all over the house while he trips over them.

He may be insane.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, lordy me, that's too nutty LOL!!, if you can get a video of that....
The spoons??!
What I wouldn't give to know what they're thinking sometimes...

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi!
That's ingenious!

SPOONS!
Little cat, seen dragging my spoons all over the house while he trips over them.

He may be insane.
Bless you for taking him from a hoarder situation, what patience you have. Not insane, you've just given him the chance to be the kitten he probably couldn't be at a young age.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remembered some furniture shaped litter boxes on Amazon that had doorways that looked as though you could put a cat door with flap (which should include the microchip keyed one) in it. Some are waaaay expensive the first I found was $300+. But I clicked on it and found others that were reasonable. Now some customers had trouble putting them together, but others didn't. If you buy one, you might want to have a few extra screws on hand.

The click to the page didn't work so Here is the name of one to put in the search -
Way Basics Eco Friendly Cat Litter Box (made from sustainable non toxic zBoard paperboard)

You can click on this one and check out a bunch of others starting with it.

I haven't tried this one or any of them, but may need one in the future so if you get one, do let us know if it works, please.

amaruuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, lordy me, that's too nutty LOL!!, if you can get a video of that....
The spoons??!
What I wouldn't give to know what they're thinking sometimes...
I keep trying to get video of him, even pics, but he just never stays still for long lol.

amaruuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remembered some furniture shaped litter boxes on Amazon that had doorways that looked as though you could put a cat door with flap (which should include the microchip keyed one) in it. Some are waaaay expensive the first I found was $300+. But I clicked on it and found others that were reasonable. Now some customers had trouble putting them together, but others didn't. If you buy one, you might want to have a few extra screws on hand.

The click to the page didn't work so Here is the name of one to put in the search -
Way Basics Eco Friendly Cat Litter Box (made from sustainable non toxic zBoard paperboard)

You can click on this one and check out a bunch of others starting with it.

I haven't tried this one or any of them, but may need one in the future so if you get one, do let us know if it works, please.
I'll check it out, thank you!

amaruuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's ingenious!

Bless you for taking him from a hoarder situation, what patience you have. Not insane, you've just given him the chance to be the kitten he probably couldn't be at a young age.
It has not been easy, I tell you.
His howling all night for the first 4 months put me into sleep deprivation, complete with hallucinations that triggered brain scans, a psych eval and bloodwork for months to figure out what was wrong with me. When the doc and I realized I haven't been entering REM sleep because of him, well. Let me tell you, that day was filled with patience.

He's slowly getting better though, and it's just nearly worth it. :p
Now he chirps at me, instead of howling. And he's finally getting it that no matter what, he's getting 3 meals a day and no more violence. No matter what. He melts my wee heart.