Litter box location ideas

gibbyandgravy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm moving in to a new house soon and I just discovered that I can't put the boxes where I thought I could. I was going to cut a hole in the wall above the washer to create a space in the garage for the boxes. Enclosed, but open (chicken wire or wire fence material) so it could be in the garage but they would be safe. Well, the water heater is there :(. The laundry room isn't wide enough for it to be in there either. My fiance is a clean freak and doesn't really want them in the house. I can't put them in the garage and we don't have hallways in the new house. The only place I can think to put it would be the kids bathroom, but I know from experience that the kids get water all over the floor so they will get it on the litter that escapes the boxes. Plus the bathroom isn't that wide, not sure how the boxes would fit really. I don't allow the cats in the bedrooms, because they will pee on clothes if they are on the floor, so the box can't go in my daughters room. The only other rooms would be the dining room or the formal living room, but those are in the front of the house and I know he will think he smells the box whenever he walks inside. I'm at a loss. Plus we have dogs so they need to be where they aren't accessible to the dogs. Any ideas? I seen online that people hide them in furniture. Anyone try that? Not sure if the cats would use those or not. I love my cats and I will not get rid of them over this. There is a solution I know it. He doesn't like cats, only because of the litter in my opinion, but he likes my cats. He knew going in to this marriage that I came with cats. I will always have a cat lol. 

I'm seriously thinking of trying to hid them in a piece of furniture. Maybe somehow put a filter in there for the smell. I don't want it to stink inside, because then they won't use it.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
there are several furniture pieces that specifically houses litter boxes and has carbon filters.

Are there spare closets you can put them in? I have one in my linen closet with the door a crack open for them to get in and out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gibbyandgravy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought about the linen closets, but they are very skinny if I'm remembering correctly. I hope they aren't as skinny as I think lol, because that could work great for me. I also thought about under the sink in the kids bathroom, it's a really long cabinet.

I will look up the furniture specially made for cats... hopefully I can find something nice looking that the cats will like to use. After-all, it doesn't matter how nice it looks if the cats wont use it lol.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are both good ideas. Also, could you still have them in the garage & just put a kitty door in the door from the house to the garage? This way they can still get to them, but also be safe. I would put them close enough to the  other side of the door so it's easy for them, & for you to clean.

gibbyandgravy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think we came up with a solution that the cats should like. I'm thinking of building a walkway above the water heater, far enough above with 1 hour fire rated materials to be safe, to go to the enclosure on the other side so they get exercise and get to be up high like they like, are enclosed and safe like I like, and their boxes are not in the house like my fiance likes. Everyone should be happy.

nimlezz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have a small cat door on my garage door. my fat is fat but she still fits. my house doesnt smell at all this way

gibbyandgravy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you use your garage? The thing that worries me is them getting in to things or getting out when I open the door. I want to be able to park my small car in there.

abylover1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried ikea hackers?

This site has ideas on how to take ikea furniture and transform them into other practical pieces. I live in a condo that is pretty open spaced so I had to find a way to conceal my litter box. They have litter ideas using small pieces of furniture to big pieces, all up to how much space you have to work with. I love the idea as it helps conceal the litter and it helps with the smell. I also have a air purifier right on top of the furniture to help with the smell.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2009/07/ikea-ps-locker-into-litter-box.html This is what I used as inspiration, but there are other ideas here that can help you out!

good luck!