Litter Box Liners

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a waste of money!  Here I thought I was being clever in purchasing some liners.  The box promised to have 6 month's supply (well, less since I have two pans) and I thought clean up would be so much simpler.  Little did I know that I would have two cats who channel Jules Verne and try to journey to the centre of the Earth each time they go.  They dig and fling and rip the liner to shreds which makes the mess so much worse!

Has anyone had any luck with liners?  Or is this one of those buyers-beware sort of products?  Now what to do with the rest of the bags?

Last edited:

meeoww2812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Liners definitely do not work I haven't found one that work for my cats. My cats do the exact same thing they like to dig and they always rip the bags or get the litter on top of the bag. What a waste.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What a waste of money!  Here I thought I was being clever in purchasing some liners.  The box promised to have 6 month's supply (well, less since I have two pans) and I thought clean up would be so much simpler.  Little did I know that I would have two cats who channel Jules Verne and try to journey to the centre of the Earth each time they go.  They dig and fling and rip the liner to shreds which makes the mess so much worse!

Has anyone had any luck with liners?  Or is this one of those buyers-beware sort of products?  Now what to do with the rest of the bags?
Same here. Sometimes when I hear them digging away I ask them if they are trying to tunnel their way to China. I used one or two out of the pack but there are useless to me also. 

chippah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Same here. Sometimes when I hear them digging away I ask them if they are trying to tunnel their way to China. I used one or two out of the pack but there are useless to me also. 
Asking if your cats are digging to China.  OMG -- hilarious.  It would be hard to dig to China because cats can't dig through the concrete subfloor of the house LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So it's not just me.  I guess I can use them as regular garbage bags then.  Maybe they work for cats who refuse to bury their messes.

It's actually pretty funny watching the kitties dig around in the bin.   Pepper, the male, especially does it with great gusto.  He'll dig 2 or 3 pits before he settles on a spot.  And of course, he has to christen the bin every time I clean it.  LOL

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my boys is a liner shredder too. My girl doesn't shred them. My other boy is de-clawed so he doesn't shred them, but his box fills up with too much liquid so quickly it's just a swampy mess. I had always used regular clay litter, but I tried pine litter last year, starting with his box. The pine litter works so much better. I didn't even try to use liners with it and use it in all the boxes now.

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So what exactly is a pine litter?  I am currently using regular clumping litter and am just skipping the liner.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So what exactly is a pine litter?  I am currently using regular clumping litter and am just skipping the liner.
It's a natural a biodegradable litter in a pellet form. It neutralize odors right in the box. When the small pellets come in contact with urine, they fall apart into a sawdust like material that absorbs the odor. It's supposed to be lower in dust and tracking than other litters (but not really on the tracking in my experience). The biggest name is probably Feline Pine, but there are many others. I've been using So Phresh that I get at Petco.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you buy disposable litter pans and fit one inside your litterbox? Not quite as good but might help.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

IB gave me litter liners for my birthday. I pretended to be happy, of course, don't get me wrong. Still--what am I supposed to do with the plastic bags? How does a litter bag work--is it supposed to be used for a special kind of litter box?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

IB gave me litter liners for my birthday. I pretended to be happy, of course, don't get me wrong. Still--what am I supposed to do with the plastic bags? How does a litter bag work--is it supposed to be used for a special kind of litter box?
They basically work the way a trash bag lines a trash can. You put them in the box and then pull the top of the bag around the edge or "lip" of the box so the litter then goes into the bag and not the box. They make sifting litter liners and non sifting. The sifting ones work so that when you go to remove them and take the top of the bag off the box and close the bag like you would a kitchen trash bag that doesn't have the drawstring, the clean litter is supposed to fall out the little holes in the bottom and the waste is still in the bag to throw away. That's how it works in theory. Reality is a bit different. At least it was for me. 

He got you a pack of litter box liners for your birthday? Give him a 4 pack of Charmin for his. See how he likes it. Make sure it's the 1 ply though. 

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to use Jonny Cat Heavy Duty liners. They worked pretty well - there would only be tiny pin prick holes in them when I changed them. 

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where did you get those?  I've only ever seen one brand and that is across stores.  It's like they have a monopoly or something.  Oh well.  It's the same with baby safety equipment (door locks, etc).  You can only get one brand so they can get away with making a chintzy product.