Litter Box Laments

Nouveau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all my fellow cat lovers!

So my little boy Nouveau is now 7.5mo weighs 9.5lbs and got a clear bill of health from the vet this week!

So to get right down to it, I know all babies have their quarks, habits, and personalities. But when it comes to the litter box, it’s a whole new world for US to understand when it comes to behaviors. My little guy’s litter box is between the cabinet and toilet within a cardboard box (not enclosed) because he would fling litter every where. Doesn’t track it as much now. But of course as I’m writing this I’m thinking maybe I should take the box away. Anywho, what he does is he will scratch at the top edges of the box like he’s trying to get more litter to cover his treasures. He does it for a solid 30-60 seconds and it’s super loud.

Do you guys think he’s just trying to express his aggravation with the cardboard box? Like maybe it’s too confining? I may need to be getting a bigger one. But otherwise, anyone else’s baby do the litter box wall-scratching?

How big should his litter box be?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Fully grown cats need extra large litterboxes so they have room to turn around to scratch and cover and high sides help with litter flinging. You can find these extra large boxes online or at pet stores.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to second susanm9006 susanm9006 's excellent advice. I think your boy has outgrown his box and would do better with a large one. I did a quick search, and both Chewy and Amazon have several good selections at reasonable prices, some with high sides.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or just head to Walmart or the hardware store and buy an inexpensive large shallow plastic storage container. That's all a litter box really is if you think about it, a plastic container. Something like this would work: Sterilite 32 Qt. Latching Storage Box-14968006 - The Home Depot Just be sure that whatever size you get is big enough for your cat to comfortable sit and turn around in.

You can even DIY a Rubbermaid-type storage tote into a litter box and cut a hole in the lid or on the side on the box to keep litter contained. Here's one instruction: DIY Top entry litter box