Litter Box Issues!

Winter.horns91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! Im new here, so hello!!

So I have two issues; the first ones is with a cat, she's the youngest of muy three other cats, shes a stray. She showed up at my apartment about four or five months ago, she wasnt thaaaat litle tho. Must have been around two or three months old already. Anyway, as I welcomed her into my home, she got along well with the other cats. the only issue I have with her it's that she didn't knew how to use the litter box so she started peeing on my couch, bed, sheets, etc. Anywhere where there was fabric. So I confined her to muy livingroom/dinning room (I live in a really small apartment) and didn't allow her to come into my room, where it was her favorite place to go to the bathroom. I noticed back then that she was using the box to go potty, but she hadnt gotten the hang of the box that well, as she liked peeing on my couch :frustrated: so i put a table over that couch some time to prevent her to go to that spot and make her go to the box. as she grew up, she got the hang of it eventually, although she has had a few slips. recently, i went and gathered her and my other female cat and got them neutered. this last week, she has gone potty on some rags and peed on that same spot directly on the floor (i removed the rag) i want to think that its because she wasnt feeling pretty well. what do you guys think? my other cat, has not had any behaviour issues and goes perfectly on litter box (shes 4 y.o)

the other problem i have, is that my other female cat, a 4 year old stray cat that was given to me last year by my then boyfriend, has had a litter of 5 beatiful and healthy kittens. i have never in my life had a kitten since newborn, thus I do not know how to litter train them. they are not very big, size of a golden hamster. they are 1 month old. they pee everywhere. I recently put a litterbox with short walls near where they sleep in hopes that their instict kicks in and they use that. I have gotten each kitten on the litterbox and scratched the sand with their paws but they do not seem interested in it. they dont even play in there. Their mom has already peed there, and I didnt clean that one up in hopes they smell the scent and get an idea as to what they have to do.
can you guys give me any advise on this? i have seen videos on youtube but they werent that helpful for me...
P.S the kittens already eat dry food, and I want to give them up for adoption soon, and already litter trained!

thank you so much for your feedback!! and sorry for being kinda lenghty

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert on litter box training so forgive me but from what I understand most cats learn about the litter box from their mom, if she is still around. If she isn't, doing what you are doing sounds right.

How many litter boxes do you have in your apartment? At least two, I hope, with four cats in a small space, that's a lot of cats. Do you keep the litter boxes scooped and clean? I don't mean to insult you, just asking.

I hope you get some good answers here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winter.horns91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not an expert on litter box training so forgive me but from what I understand most cats learn about the litter box from their mom, if she is still around. If she isn't, doing what you are doing sounds right.

How many litter boxes do you have in your apartment? At least two, I hope, with four cats in a small space, that's a lot of cats. Do you keep the litter boxes scooped and clean? I don't mean to insult you, just asking.

I hope you get some good answers here.
Dont worry!! Their mom is still around, but she hasnt actually shown them how to use it properly. Thats why i kinda worry. I do have two litterboxes, one wich is for the kittens And used by their mom too, but its intentionally small forma nos so that the kottens can get in And out without trouble. And they are scooped everyday. The other other one is bigger And also scooped, tho they do go outside and do their business by some tree And some bushes (the adult cats)

nadthefegit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new on here. I'd like to get your opinions on my cats having litter box issues. So last year in June, I adopted two kittens who apparently siblings. They were literally covered in fungal infection and are still recovering but have shown TREMENDOUS improvement. 1 of them started pooping and peeing out of the box suddenly, and this went on for about a few months. Brought him to the vet but the vet insisted that it was a behavioral issue, and just needed to be spayed.

In December 2017, I decided to get them spayed since they were about 6/7 months old. They're both male kittens btw. The problematic one apparently used the litter box to pee on that very day, and started his peeing and pooping everywhere else after that. Unfortunately, his brother started to pee and poop everywhere too after getting spayed. His brother enjoys pooping on the carpet under the sofa which makes it very hard to clean.

I'm at my wits end right now. I'll be bringing them for another a check up at the vet and I honestly hope this would help. I've tried getting another litter box for them, but they refuse to use it. Changed their litters, tried mopping the floor daily but nothing is working?!?!?!

I have 2 older cats as well and Bagel, a female cat who has been spayed tends to bully them and chase them around cuz she wants to play. They're apparently NOT interested in her and is afraid of her but she doesn't quite get the message. I'm afraid Bagel is intimidating them that's why they're so stressed out thus resort to pooping and peeing everywhere?

I'm even thinking of getting an animal communicator LOL I'm just tired of cleaning the poop and pee everywhere it's draining.

Please help someone :-(

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww....I feel bad for them if they are being bullied by the other cat. I think you figured it out by yourself without hiring someone else! That's probably the reason they are going outside the litter box. Too scared. I've been through the same thing with a cat I had to separate and they never did learn to get along. You might want to think about re-homing the cats. I know you don't want to do that probably but four cats in the house is a lot.

nadthefegit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww....I feel bad for them if they are being bullied by the other cat. I think you figured it out by yourself without hiring someone else! That's probably the reason they are going outside the litter box. Too scared. I've been through the same thing with a cat I had to separate and they never did learn to get along. You might want to think about re-homing the cats. I know you don't want to do that probably but four cats in the house is a lot.
The funny thing is, they both enjoy playing with the 2 older cats too!! They do rub their faces on the older cats but I have no idea what's wrong. They don't fight either. I don't have the heart to rehome them because before this, they were living in a small cage and was infested with fungal infection. I just feel that this is their second chance at a much better life. SIGH!!!