Litter Box Issues

derbarbarian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right area of the forum for this question, if not I can move it. I have a 12 year old male cat who's very set in his ways, and when he uses his box he has a tendency to stick his butt over the edge so I end up with both solids and liquids on the floor, I'm already using a hooded box but it doesn't seem to do much since he'll stick his butt out over the opening, whenever I see him use the box I try to make it over to push him in a little further so he doesn't miss, unfortunately I can't be there with him 24/7. So I was looking into getting a litter box mat of some sort but there appear to be a plethora of different options, and I was going to see if there are any you guys would recommend. I'm looking for one that's rubber/plastic so that I can clean it easily, as I fear the ones with woven in fabric would be a PITA to clean up constantly. Most of the ones I've found are pretty small, I need one that I can slide all the way under the box with a good 3-4 inches on each side. Anyways I was just wondering if you guys would be able to recommend something, I have 2 cats, so I'm using 2 boxes so I'm in the market for something that's not too terribly expensive. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
One of our older cats had this problem years ago. Honestly, the best thing we found was a boot tray - the kind you use to catch water and snow off your boots in the winter. We got a high-sided litter box, then set the tray at the opening, so if he happened to overhang, it fell into the tray and could be rinsed. Honestly, we just got a tray from the dollar store. Most of the litter mats we saw seemed to be more intended for preventing litter from tracking...in those cases, the woven plastic ones were a terror to clean. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have this issue sometimes with Mooch.  We got a high sided litter box but I still have to be sure I don't fill the litter too full.  It's a really common problem.

I've heard of using a washer tray with puppy pads to help soak it up.  That or a boot tray sound like good options depending on how much space you have.