Litter box disaster

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My neutered male Dude always avoids his litter box for days after I clean it out, and naturally he's pooping and peeing elsewhere.

I haven't changed the kind of litter, and I bought a second identical litter box so that I can swap them out to clean them, since he seems to react to anything that smells wrong or different -- that way he doesn't smell the cleaning product (which is a scentless biodegradable soap) after two weeks.

I have no idea where he's peeing in the house, but somewhere my floor is rotting.

He's always done this, which makes me reluctant to fully clean his litter box and I end up scooping for far longer than I should just to avoid the problem, but I will be putting my house on the market soon and I can't have the place stinking.

He had blood work done ten days ago and he's fine. His teeth are fine. He gets along well with my Willow, so that's not it.

I'm at my wit's end with this. Any suggestions?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
soap that doesn't have a scent that humans can smell may very well have one that cats can smell. You might try three boxes so you can switch out every week when you clean them and let the just cleaned one sit away from the cat for a couple of weeks before using again?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try laying a puppy pad on the bottom and seeing how long you can go without changing out the litter. The puppy pad absorbs any urine that lands in the corners or bottom so it keeps the smell down. I never even have to wash my boxes. Then if you do a thorough job of scooping perhaps it will be acceptable to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[/QUOTE]
soap that doesn't have a scent that humans can smell may very well have one that cats can smell. You might try three boxes so you can switch out every week when you clean them and let the just cleaned one sit away from the cat for a couple of weeks before using again?

That's what I do now. I swap the old box out, swap the new box in, and then immediately clean the old box. It is at least a month before I swap out the boxes again and by then things are getting pretty stinky.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you put two boxes out for him, then have a 3rd that you clean?

What type of cleaner are you using? The cleaner might be the issue. Personally I use Lysol bathroom spray. There's no bleach in it which is important as bleach mixed with urine is VERY dangerous.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have room for four litter boxes in my house (I have another cat).

I already use an unscented biodegradable soap for cleaning as he can apparently smell anything like Pine Sol or Lysol weeks after I use it on the box.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have room for four litter boxes in my house (I have another cat).

I already use an unscented biodegradable soap for cleaning as he can apparently smell anything like Pine Sol or Lysol weeks after I use it on the box.
Pinesol can't be used with cats 😊 some of the oils found in pine trees and pine tree products are toxic to cats. Wood litter that is made for cats is treated to remove those oils.

He may have an association now of when you clean the box, the box hurts him so he won't use it.

You might want to try putting the identical box down with a different type of litter in it, to see if he has a negative association to the type of litter you're using. I don't recommend mixing litter but I usually put a disposable box or spare box out with new type of litter and then let my cats choose what litter to use if I'm trying to switch types.

I'm also not sure how many boxes you already have out. If they are plastic, a switch to metal ones may make it easier to sanitize and it would retain less smell.

If it's smelling in between full changes, it may be because you are using a clumping litter and the clumping agent is causing excrement to stick to the sides and bottom of the box. Switching to a non clumping litter was faster and easier for me and it's easier to sanitize once a month. The litter I have is pretty absorbent.

Basically, with litter options you have the following:
1- try a different litter
2- try a different box (there's many options in this step)
3- add more litters

Mixed in with #1 is trying things like pee pads. And then we get down to adding another box being the only way to solve the issue if everything else doesn't work. Which, yes for many people is hard due to space constraints but it ends up being either continue forward with the issue or tetras the box somewhere 🤣

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t “clean out” my litter box. I use sterilite containers so absolutely nothing sticks to it. I also use a clumping litter that doesn’t leave little pieces when I scoop. I have 3 cats and never have a smell or any issues

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is a sterilite container?

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sterilite containers are a brand of large plastic storage containers (US) - I think they are pretty much translucent plastic, not opaque. I use a large plastic storage bin that I have cut an opening into for Buddy - he is a large boy kitty. He doesn't like small boxes. The advantage of using a storage container - high sides, door can be the size you need - I cut an opening that is plenty wide enough for him (Buddy's not fat, just big), sanded the edges and there you go. A lot cheaper than an official litter box. I clean his box out completely once a month and use a pet safe cleaner. I use clumping unscented litter, and scoop multiple times daily. I have a second slightly smaller box, but he won't use it unless its an emergency (he has to go and I am in the middle of cleaning and changing his big box). The box I bought to use for Buddy is from a big box store - its not a sterilite. I prefer it as the plastic is a softer more flexible plastic and was easier to cut. The sterilite works well though and is sturdier. Buddy's box is opaque blue, it's approximately 29 inches long x 20 inches wide and 17 inches high. It was a lot cheaper than sterilite but not as good quality. The one I bought is larger and cheaper and does the job it needs to.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
W Willowwombat it's a brand of plastic bin for storage.

Robyn5678 Robyn5678 Do you cut an opening in to it?

The sides are high for older cats. Neither of my late cats would have been able to scale those in their last few years.

I actually began sanitizing my cat bins once a month in 2019 when Lily became immunocompromised. It helped reduce her reinfecting herself with things. I've kept the habit, even though the litter I use now doesn't stick anywhere.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just be mindful that some cats may not respond well to different kinds of boxes. Keep an eye out for your cats going less frequently if you try any new things 😁

Some cats don't like to feel enclosed and some do. I've had both!

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are a couple pictures of Buddy's box. It bowed out a bit at the opening - the close up picture distorts the bowing it because of the angle of the picture. The first picture shows it more accurately. A heavier plastic box wouldn't do this. I keep the layer of kitty litter about 2.5 inches deep.

box2.jpg box1.jpg

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is a sterilite container?
It’s a large storage container many people use for storage and moving. It had a very smooth surface so nothing sticks to it and super easy to scoop. I use a 90 qt one so it’s large and plenty of room for them to move around. The high sided make them jump out so litter isn’t tracked everywhere. And it’s less than $12 when a regular small litter box can be $25-30
IMG_3730.png

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
W Willowwombat it's a brand of plastic bin for storage.

Robyn5678 Robyn5678 Do you cut an opening in to it?

The sides are high for older cats. Neither of my late cats would have been able to scale those in their last few years.

I actually began sanitizing my cat bins once a month in 2019 when Lily became immunocompromised. It helped reduce her reinfecting herself with things. I've kept the habit, even though the litter I use now doesn't stick anywhere.
I don’t cut it but my 17 year old cat had no issues getting in and out. It actually worked well because towards the end of her life, she wouldn’t squat to pee. She literally stood there and just peed out her back haha. The high sided keeps that from going everywhere or in the crack of a hooded litter box

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excuse my mess, I need to sweep but here is my setup. All 3 of my cats use each one equally really. They tend to pee in one and poop in another and then the litter robot they use for both. My 3 cats are all under 2 years. But my 17ish cat had no issue getting in the high side box. In the boxes I use cats pride ultra and in the litter robot I use their brand

IMG_3731.jpeg

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try cleaning your litterbox with just hot water. Boiling water will kill bacteria and leave no bad smell for your cat.

Another trick is to remove only part of the and mix in fresh litter. It'll knock down any odors without making the litterbox smell strange to your cat.

You can find pee spots with a UV light.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t cut it but my 17 year old cat had no issues getting in and out. It actually worked well because towards the end of her life, she wouldn’t squat to pee. She literally stood there and just peed out her back haha. The high sided keeps that from going everywhere or in the crack of a hooded litter box
That's pretty amazing. Lily was estimated 19 when she passed but she had balance issues her last 2 years. I got a high side so she could lean-and-pee!

Nobel we had to move back to a "basic" box in his last 6 months due to mobility issues. He was always picky due to his FLUTD though.