Litter box cleaning behavior

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is not so much a how to change, but is a behavior that I noticed in my cats, especially my two 3 month old boys. Any time I go to scoop out the litter boxes at least one cat, usually the kittens will get in the box to investigate what I am doing. Sometimes after I finish scooping one of the boxes, someone will decide to make a deposit. This evening I had not even finished scooping the first box when both of the kittens and my older boy decided to make deposits. Not only did three of the four make their deposits but each of them left me a nice pile of poo. At least I was able to scoop those all out before I finished with that box :D. Does anyone else have a cat that insists on using their box while it is being cleaned?

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who will not use a dirty litter and waits until her box is cleaned. It's annoying but I've yet to find a way to curb that behaviour.

Cats are snoopy, and yours are pulling the typical "monkey see monkey do" routine

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You'll probably find a lot of people posting that their cats do the same thing. Our last cat did, and I used to joke that he did it to be accommodating, i.e., he didn't want me to be disappointed when there was no "treasure" to be found in the box, since I always seemed to be hunting for it.

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, totally, my cat does this all the time. Not shy at all, and to be honest I'm glad he does, because it gives me a chance to see how strong his urine flow is. Also I get to check out his poo. That's how I once found out he had worms. What the hey, he sits on my lap in the bathroom . Guess he's just returning the stinky favor, lol.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who will not use a dirty litter and waits until her box is cleaned. It's annoying but I've yet to find a way to curb that behaviour.

Cats are snoopy, and yours are pulling the typical "monkey see monkey do" routine :lol3:
Definitly was a "monkey see, monkey do" moment. I kept expecting my fourth boy to join in since he was right there chirping away. He however decided to wait. More interested in me finishing and feeding them.

You'll probably find a lot of people posting that their cats do the same thing. Our last cat did, and I used to joke that he did it to be accommodating, i.e., he didn't want me to be disappointed when there was no "treasure" to be found in the box, since I always seemed to be hunting for it.
My boys definitly did not disappoint last night. Now if they would only be as accomadating when I am looking for a sample to take in to the vets, lol :)

Oh, totally, my cat does this all the time. Not shy at all, and to be honest I'm glad he does, because it gives me a chance to see how strong his urine flow is. Also I get to check out his poo. That's how I once found out he had worms. What the hey, he sits on my lap in the bathroom . Guess he's just returning the stinky favor, lol.
My guys tend to use the box in the bathroom when I am in there taking care of my own business. Always looked at it as they decided to take the lead from mom :D