Litter Box Behaviours

Tworagdolls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the litter box behaviours of two 5 month old male Ragdolls. Hopefully you guys will be able to throw some light on these.

The first is a question and a potential problem. One of the boys has on two occasions peed on the carpet in a room with a litter box. There are three litter boxes, one on each floor. The first time was weeks ago and this morning was the most recent. He generally uses the litter box with no problems. There was a poo in the box this morning and I was late getting up. I’m guessing this is nothing to worry about and probably due to my laziness. I caught him when I heard him scratching on the carpet. I cleaned the area with an enzyme cleaner and sprayed feliway around the region. Is there anything else I should do?

The second is more of a curiosity. When cleaning the litter box, the other kitten shows a great deal of interest. He climbs in as if checking what I am doing. When finished, he almost always pees. I find this very funny. I guess he is just interested in what I am doing with his toilet.

And finally, the one who shows a keen interest in my dealings with the litter box is a perfect poo coverer - he spend a long time organising his poops and the litter around them. The other, the one who peed on the carpet this morning is efficient. He just jumps in, poops, makes a half hearted effort to cover and just jumps out. Is this normal? The great thing is I know who does which poo which is great for inspections!

Thanks for reading.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The second is more of a curiosity. When cleaning the litter box, the other kitten shows a great deal of interest. He climbs in as if checking what I am doing. When finished, he almost always pees. I find this very funny. I guess he is just interested in what I am doing with his toilet.
Yup, some cats are fascinated by us cleaning their litter boxes and many will hop in as soon as it's been cleaned. Once I had to stop twice. First so Ruby could go #1. Then a second time for #2. :lol:

And finally, the one who shows a keen interest in my dealings with the litter box is a perfect poo coverer - he spend a long time organising his poops and the litter around them. The other, the one who peed on the carpet this morning is efficient. He just jumps in, poops, makes a half hearted effort to cover and just jumps out. Is this normal? The great thing is I know who does which poo which is great for inspections!
Yup, also normal. Some cover purr-fectly. Others not so much. And others, like my Ruby girl, scratch the side of the litter box, but not the actual litter. :lol:

One of the boys has on two occasions peed on the carpet in a room with a litter box.
This, however, isn't normal. And since it's happened twice, you might want to consider getting him checked at the vet for a UTI. Is he neutered yet? If not, it could be due to him getting older, but still a vet checkup, or at least consultation is a good first step.

Here's some TCS articles with more info:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite

How Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tworagdolls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This, however, isn't normal. And since it's happened twice, you might want to consider getting him checked at the vet for a UTI. Is he neutered yet? If not, it could be due to him getting older, but still a vet checkup, or at least consultation is a good first step.
Thank you. He and his brother are due to be neutered on 27th May. It’s usually done at 5.5-6 months here. The one who peed on the carpet also has one undescended testicle. He has just done it twice in 6 weeks, in different spots but other than that, he has consistently used the box. I hope it’s not a UTI. I’ll monitor him and call the vet on Monday to get his input. Otherwise, he is a playful, energetic and mischievous little fellow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tworagdolls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update. The vet thinks there is nothing to be concerned about. He suggested that if the kitten is frequently urinating small amounts or attempting to go with no result, then we should act on it. As it is not a regular occurrence, the vet suggested that he may just have had an accident but to keep an eye on his litter box usage for the next while and to follow-up is there is anything unusual.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Hopefully they were just "toddler" accidents, where he just couldn't get to the litter box in time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have gone outside the box because it was being guarded by the other, have you seen any signs of this? some cats also develop a routine where they poo in one box and pee in another, so if it continues you might want to try two boxes on the floor he pees on. He goes in the box when there is no poo in it. It also might be that he is getting older and is on the track to spraying or marking his territory if so that will stop when he gets neutered. You haven't changed litters lately, have you? There is always a reason for a cat to avoid a litterbox, it is up to us to figure it out.....