Litter Box Aggression, New Cat

MoeFridaPearl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I’ve posted my story on here a few time so I won’t bore you with all the details. I’m 4 month into introducing a new cat into our two cat household. Things are finally going pretty well. Cats hang out pretty much all the time except at bed time and when we aren’t home. The current issue that we continue to have is our male resident cat pinning new kitty in or around the litter box. Not physically but with swipes, hisses, shrieks and growls. We have 4 litter boxes scattered around our 2 bedroom home. We find ourselves watching new kitty for signs she needs the litter and then quietly closing the door so she can go in peace. Any tips? It just happened again this evening. All boxes were freshly changed this afternoon.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old are the cats? Are both spayed/neutered? Is it just litter box area aggression from your male cat?

Four months is a long time, but maybe you do need to re-start the introductions. Here's another article: How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your resident cat can't be guarding all the boxes at the same time. He is being territorial. How did you come up with two cats when you didn't like the one you had? I missed out on something!
It will eventually work out. Do not let your resident cat bully the little girl. Remove him from the room,tell him NO and lock him up for 5 minutes. No longer or he will forget what he is being punished for. I think you are getting cat experience, you are doing well. Four months ios not long in cats world. these things just take time as I'm sure you found out! My cats took almost a year before they finally got along. With the help from this site, you will do good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoeFridaPearl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To answer a few questions and comments. Like I said, litter boxes are scattered around the house, not all in one place.
I used Jackson galaxy’s method for introducing cats. We went very slow (still are.) I’m not starting the introduction process over... we aren’t to that point. This little box aggression is something I am monitoring very closely. We immediately separate them the few times this has happened. We Let everyone cool down for a while before letting them be around each other again.
To the person that asked me how I ended up with two cats when I didn’t like the one I had??? I don’t know where you read that... I had two cats and a third one found us this summer (she was a stray) so we took her in, and have spent 4 months getting her healthy and introducing her very slowly into our 2 cat household.... I never said anything about not liking the cats I already have. I’ve been a cat mom for over 15 years at this point. I know this is going to take time. I am just looking for advice from others.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I looked at your profile and some of your previous posts to get a 'feel' for you, and one of them was "my cat is a jerk and I hate him." I went back and found out it was NOT your post, you just answered it. Very sorry, I apologize!