Litter and kitty allergies

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi All.

It looks like I may have to change my kitty litter. Delilah, my first cat, chewed her paws like crazy when I used any clay litter and World's Best. Her paws were sore enough that you could see pink skin through the She hated Okocat. I started her on crystal litter (Scoop Free). 95% of the chewing stopped. About a year and a half after I adopted Delilah, I adopted Fancy. Fancy wasn't in great shape and it took a few months to get her up par. Since I had her she had issues with runny nose and watery eyes, and she was licking her legs. She's licked them to the point where her fur looks like it's shaved off in spots. The vet and I tried different proteins and eliminating all grains and extras (we had her on a frozen raw for 3 months). Nothing helped.

I was chatting with someone about Delilah's litter allergy yesterday when it hit me that Fancy may very well be having an allergy to the crystal litter.

I need to try a litter that both girls can use. What litter, that's not clay, corn, crystal, or large pellets (like the Okocat), would be good for both cats?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kiln dried wood pellets might be another option, but, it is not clumping and some cats aren't sure of using the litter due to the feel of the pellets. I hope they feel better soon!
Have you looked into things like making sure you're using a hypoallergenic laundry detergent, as well as cleaning products?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kiln dried wood pellets might be another option, but, it is not clumping and some cats aren't sure of using the litter due to the feel of the pellets. I hope they feel better soon!
Have you looked into things like making sure you're using a hypoallergenic laundry detergent, as well as cleaning products?
I did try wood pellets. Delilah hated them.

I've been through everything, even food trials, changing protein, no additives, frozen raw. Fancy is still licking.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you been using (store bought) chamomile tea? Brew it, cool it and dab on the hot spots. It's safe if she ingests it, is anti bacterial and anti fungal and will help ease discomfort.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried the tofu kind of litter. Attached is a link to another thread with the brands I have tried and one another person had tried. Post number 14 and 15