Litter Allergy? What Kind To Use?

Alinalou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my kitten Sheena (9 weeks) to the vet yesterday and they mentioned that her sneezing and runny nose might be a litter allergy.
Her allergy symptoms were concerning to me because I already have an adult cat, Sebastian (4 years), who has allergies to outside allergens and as a result I’m already constantly running air purifiers with HEPA filters. I was really confused as to what it could be and I didn’t even consider that it could be the litter.

I use fresh step, clean paws for her box and ultimate for the boys box. The boys use a box with a hood but she won’t get in it so she has a regular open litter tray.
The vet mentioned that fresh step might be too dusty which is fair because the “low dust” label on the outside is a huge lie.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a cat that has a litter allergy and what litter works for them? Once I get her a new litter should I switch the boys litter too? Which litters are actually low dust?

Unfortunately I forgot to ask the vet these questions as we were preoccupied with her other problems, but with a little more work she’s going to be fine as she plays and eats like a champion.

Here’s a photo of Sheena post belly rubs:

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats, especially kittens, also get Feline Herpes Virus, or kitty cold, often when they are young. That has been the cause of almost all of my kittens sneezing, runny nose and watery eyes. It is NOT communicable to humans, but is VERY common in kittens. I would definitely call your vet and see about giving L-Lysine, which halts the reproduction of the virus. Some cats will eat the gel form, mine never have, so I order mine on Amazon as treats which they eat well. They also offer them with immunity boosters so the kitten can ward off the virus easier. Watch for any nose or eye discharge turning thick and colored, then it has developed into a secondary bacterial infection and the cat will need to see a vet for an antibiotic. The virus is self limiting, can last several weeks, and in my older cats it caused them to sneeze, have running noses, and made them sleep a lot more. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alinalou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Thank you!

di and bob di and bob Oh yeah I know about this thank you! She actually came to me with it. Her eyes were most affected but we managed to fix those with Terramycin treatments alone because the antibiotic they put her on gave her terrible diarrhea and she doesn’t need anymore bottom problems because she also came to me with an anal prolapse that we’re also currently trying to fix. The hemorrhoid cream and purse suture didn’t fix it because they’re pretty sure it has been out since birth so she’s probably going to need a surgery which is part of what I was so distracted by.
The other thing she developed is a round quarter sized rash on her shoulder blade after she came home from the vet with the stitch and the vet really honed in on that on this visit. They seem to think it’s ringworm but my other 2 cats and I don’t have it and it has been over a week since I first noticed it. It’s being cultured so I’ll find out what it is in the next week or sooner if I get ringworm.

Anyway I’ve given her the affectionate nickname of “biohazard baby” but I guess when you get a kitten from an overwhelmed and overcrowded cat rescue they’re bound to have issues.

She doesn’t have a tail at all so I find these bottom problems a little scary, I hope she’s going to be ok in the future but every thing I look up about tailless cats is all bad news.

I guess they think it’s an allergy because she didn’t have any symptoms when she stayed at the vet for her stitch and the fluid out of her nose is clear. I'm giving my boys lysine treats everyday but she won’t eat them. I thought about getting it in a form I could put in a syringe if I have to but I wasn’t sure that was a good idea.

... sorry for the info dump lol this has been a lot.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have such a big heart to take all this on! Maybe you can get the paste kind and put a little on her lips? The rash on her shoulder could be allergies too. I really hope everything starts going better for her, and you, you both deserve a break!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alinalou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob Thank you!! Honestly she’s worth it and doesn’t seem to notice that she has any problems. All she really wants to do is play and tackle her brothers. The only time I really really feel the stress is the 3 times a day I have to treat the prolapse because it’s obvious that it hurts her and it makes me feel awful to have to do it. She recovers immediately after I put her down and give her treats but I have to like lay down for a second lol.

I can’t think of what could have caused the shoulder rash unless she caught it while she was at the vet because we’re indoors only here. Even me mostly because I also have terrible allergies! I’m putting a lotion on it 3 times a day that they prescribed for fungal rashes. It seemed like putting that on made it itchier and red though and I don’t know if it’s healing or hurting but I can ask today when my vet calls to schedule the surgery. I'm already running HEPA filters and I just replaced them so if it is an allergy I have no idea how to help her other than what I’m already doing for Sebastian. I was hoping changing the litter would help her nose at least.

I’ll get a tube of the paste and see how that goes too! I’ll feel a million times better once she gets well.