Litter Advice Needed - "urine Cement Blocks"

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What shape is your litter box? We have one with sides that curve in and that one is much easier to clean out than the other ones that have more of a definite bottom/side. I've even considered replacing all the other boxes with ones that have curved sides, it's THAT much easier to clean!

We're also trying to transition away from clay. A couple of weeks ago I put a non-clay (I forgot which brand DH bought) in one box and they've used it a couple of times. Tonight I mixed a little non-clay into the box they use most. We'll see what they think of that.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My Kabby won't use anything except clay clumping litter and if I try something different he is not shy about telling me he doesn't like it. He will pee outside the furnace room where the litter is. He doesn't even like it if I mix them together like the manufacturer recommends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What shape is your litter box? We have one with sides that curve in and that one is much easier to clean out than the other ones that have more of a definite bottom/side. I've even considered replacing all the other boxes with ones that have curved sides, it's THAT much easier to clean!.[/
Good to know! Mine are straight sides - I'll look for the curved ones. I still have a couple boxes of clay litter, but think I'll start experimenting with seeing if they'll use a mix of clay and non-clay

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the cat box and then I pour in the litter. Works like a charm!

Also, make sure to pour in about a good 3 to 4 inches of litter. The more they can burry the urine, the easier it is to clump/it won't stick to the bottom.

I love Fresh Step, scented. Works great and no strong odor smell.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the cat box and then I pour in the litter. Works like a charm!

Also, make sure to pour in about a good 3 to 4 inches of litter. The more they can burry the urine, the easier it is to clump/it won't stick to the bottom.

I love Fresh Step, scented. Works great and no strong odor smell.
Thanks! I don't do scented but will try the baking soda tip.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on litter. Right now I use unscented clumping litter for my 2 cat's boxes. Fortunately they aren't particular and I rotate through whatever brand is on sale - usually Arm & Hammer or Tidy Cat. They pee a lot - which is a good thing! But despite scooping once a day and sometimes twice, I end up with huge urine clumps in the corner that stick to the box. I don't use liners because they would scratch them up. Any advice or remedies? I've only ever used clumping - what happens to the urine with non-clumping?

Thanks!
Simplest thing is to use unscented large puppy pads to line the litter box. These liners are thick and cats can't scratch through them. They absorb liquid that makes it to the bottom and the clumps don't stick to it. You scoop just like usual and change the Pad every few weeks, and you pretty much never need to wash the box because nothing leaks through the Pad.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sarah430 sarah430 , you should consider non "clay" litter. It really is bad for the cat, and you. I recently made the switch, after years of clay litter, but I started having health issues. I was astonished to learn how bad it is ... also bad for the environment. There are more natural bio-degradable alternatives that clump, where you won't have the problem you're currently having. After a lot of research, I recently switched to:
Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Multi-Cat Quick-Clumping Cat Litter
World's Best Cat litter (red bag) is also good but only if you can scoop often. That one is corn based. With corn and wheat, you have to be careful with mold that can grow, and bugs.
Good luck!
Just curious. Why is clay litter bad? I've heard that chemicals used in litter to facilitate clumping may be bad, but why is the clay itself an issue? Not doubting anyone, but I am curious.

As for myself, I experimented with a number of both clay and organic litters and the one both I and Max settled on was Cat's Pride Ultimate Care Unscented Hypoallergenic. Max seemed to prefer the clay litters, and Cat's Pride was the best of those that I tried.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you have asthma that could be agrivated by scooping the litter I really don't know. I know cats with pica shouldn't have clay because they eat it.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simplest thing is to use unscented large puppy pads to line the litter box. These liners are thick and cats can't scratch through them. They absorb liquid that makes it to the bottom and the clumps don't stick to it. You scoop just like usual and change the Pad every few weeks, and you pretty much never need to wash the box because nothing leaks through the Pad.
That's a great idea! Thanks.

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious. Why is clay litter bad? I've heard that chemicals used in litter to facilitate clumping may be bad, but why is the clay itself an issue? Not doubting anyone, but I am curious.

As for myself, I experimented with a number of both clay and organic litters and the one both I and Max settled on was Cat's Pride Ultimate Care Unscented Hypoallergenic. Max seemed to prefer the clay litters, and Cat's Pride was the best of those that I tried.
Does kitty litter contain harmful substances?