Liquidation outlets are a blessing stocked with discounted cat food

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I discovered a wonderful thing...liquidation outlets and Amazon bin stores. I highly recommend searching for one in your area if you haven't found one already. They're usually a well hidden gem!

There are three liquidation stores in our town that I never knew existed. One sells cat food by the can for 15-29 cents. Dry bags of grain free cat food in all different brands and sizes are about $4.00. The other sells 5.5 oz cans for 50 cents. And the third is an Amazon bin store, meaning they "blind buy" huge pallets from Amazon, open them, and then sell them at discounted fixed prices. Each day they mark down the price, so you can get a case of cat food at the beginning of the week for $6 and at the end of the week for $1 if they're still there.

Today I stocked up on about 100 cans for 29 cents each and also got 3 big bags for $4.00 each. (I also bought 3 big $60 buckets of aquarium water treatment for $2 each.) I feel like everyone should know about these types of stores! They're amazing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need to look at the expiration dates on the food and take that into consideration when buying bulk. Dented cans, as well as any suspicious marks on the bags are other things to look for. You might also look at recalls, including those that contain lot numbers. If they pass the muster on these things, it would seem you would be good to go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need to look at the expiration dates on the food and take that into consideration when buying bulk. Dented cans, as well as any suspicious marks on the bags are other things to look for. You might also look at recalls, including those that contain lot numbers. If they pass the muster on these things, it would seem you would be good to go!
All of the cans I bought today expire in 2025. Two of the cans were dented and one full box was scuffed up on the cardboard side, but the rest are perfect. I also buy my canned drinks from there when we want soda pop. Tastes as fresh as any other store but for the reasonable cost of 25 cents a can.

They DO have expired things in the liquidation outlets and I can't speak for other stores, but mine always have labels across them marking what has expired or what is expiring soon.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of the cans I bought today expire in 2025. Two of the cans were dented and one full box was scuffed up on the cardboard side, but the rest are perfect. I also buy my canned drinks from there when we want soda pop. Tastes as fresh as any other store but for the reasonable cost of 25 cents a can.

They DO have expired things in the liquidation outlets and I can't speak for other stores, but mine always have labels across them marking what has expired or what is expiring soon.
Excellent tip!!
I've found cans or bags of cat food marked way down and the reason was cited as "expiring soon" usually in about a month. I bought them and fed them. I was pleased to see that the store was transparent with the fact the food was expiring soon and was willing to let it go for less vs. trying to slide it through once it had expired. I had more cats than I do now at the time, so the food was gone quickly, but for someone with one or two cats the food might have spoiled before it had been used up.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent tip!!
I've found cans or bags of cat food marked way down and the reason was cited as "expiring soon" usually in about a month. I bought them and fed them. I was pleased to see that the store was transparent with the fact the food was expiring soon and was willing to let it go for less vs. trying to slide it through once it had expired. I had more cats than I do now at the time, so the food was gone quickly, but for someone with one or two cats the food might have spoiled before it had been used up.
Yes, our local stores do that too! Though I can't speak for liquidation stores as I haven't been.

We even bought a case once and the boys went through it before the month was up.