Lip licking cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is he doing today?  I was offline when you posted that last message, and JUST got it!  

For some reason, three days seems to be the magic number for all things medical for all living creatures.  By the end of the third day, pain has diminished considerably.  Sometimes before, but at least BY then.  Crossing my fingers that you get a "before."

How are YOU holding up?
He has moments where he's calm but most of the time, he's still running to the litterbox every few minutes. He makes low yowls a lot after he goes. He still has a really good appetite but he doesn't want to drink any water. I'm not sure if he has slept at all. He still rubs his face against me & purrs when I pet him though. I'm sure he'll get better soon. Also I found an almost normal sized pee in his litterbox this afternoon. He mostly just makes several trips & gets a few drops out. Plus I haven't seen too much blood in the clumps like I did yesterday. I tried to clean the blood off of his genitals, but I don't want to hurt him so I can't get it all off..

I'm doing okay. I know he's just in the healing process. If I had surgery on my bladder, I'm sure I'd feel really uncomfortable as well. I'm trying not to stress too much. Thank you for asking!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is purring when you love on him, he's doing as well as can be expected.  Sore and icky, but improving.  And a normal pee is a very good sign!

Breathe deep. Been there.  Hekitty had pancreatitis and I was a wreck the whole recovery time!  AND I panicked over every little thing for 6 months afterward.  The folks here kept me sane!

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Asti just peed a lot of blood & got it all over him & the floor. I called the Emergency vet & they said it was normal. This is so scary. My poor boy :(

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do I know when it's too much blood????? I'm going to talk to his vet tomorrow morning just to be sure but does anyone know when it's too much blood?

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hang in there! I'm glad that the Emergency peeps said it was ok. Sending lots of love to you both.

I don't know when too much is too much :( I know it's hard but just keep watch and keep us posted.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Asti is doing better today. He actually made a normal sized pee today & I didn't see any blood in it or when I cleaned him. He took his medicine easily & has been eating well. As I write, he is actually sleeping next to me! This is the first time I've even seen him sleep since surgery! I called his vet today & she told me the blood is fine.

There is something I've noticed about him though. I believe he has reactions to medication. He has AWFUL tremors/twitching when he's relaxed. I know they aren't seizures because they sometimes wake him up & if he does them in his sleep, I can wake him pretty easily. He has always gotten them when he sleeps deeply, even when he was a kitty. They got bad after his last convenia shot about a month ago & they eventually wore off. She gave him the shot again & he's on other meds & they are just horrible. But I'm sure it'll go away like it did last time.

For now, I'm just very happy to have my best friend lying by me again & being seemingly comfortable. [emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this about twitching:

http://pets.thenest.com/mean-cat-twitches-its-sleep-11611.html

I recall a My Cat From Hell episode with a cat who twitched violently during sleep.  It was a sleep disorder that some people have, too.  It comes from a lack (or reduction) of the chemical that the body produces that partially paralyses you during sleep, to keep you from action out your dreams.  It isn't dangerous other than the chance of falling from a higher perch, though.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it bothers him unless it actually hinders his sleep. Normally he's in a deep sleep when it happeneds. I always thought it was normal because I actually twitch in my sleep, similarly to how he does lol.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I once overdosed on The Pirates of the Carribean series...watched them all back to back THREE TIMES over a period of two days.  The night after the second run-through, I dreamed that I was running from the British soldiers with Cpt Sparrow, and we jumped off of a cliff.  I woke up in midair, having thrown myself off of the bed.  Landed face-first on the bedside table and gave myself a black eye!  Yeah, we can twitch a bit in our sleep!

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tend to spazz out when I'm dreaming I'm going up or down stairs. It's always stairs. Inevitably I will trip and then wake myself up flopping about.

I'm glad you both are doing better!! 

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
When I'm in the just drifting off to sleep or right before waking up phase and dreaming, if I dream that I am driving and need to brake or going down stairs or running I will actually move my leg downward very hard and very suddenly and it wakes me right up.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See, cats really are just little people in fur coats!  And far more sensible than MOST people!

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely the same way. Usually it feels like something is coming towards my face & I'll move to dodge it lol.

By the way, Asti is acting really normal today :)

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! I'm very happy about it.

But now he's licking himself like crazy & the two nipples that are near his incision are bright red & look like pimples ready to be popped (sorry, that's the best way I can describe it). & he's been scratching at his ears again. :( I can't get him to stop licking himself.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I'm very happy about it.

But now he's licking himself like crazy & the two nipples that are near his incision are bright red & look like pimples ready to be popped (sorry, that's the best way I can describe it). & he's been scratching at his ears again.
I can't get him to stop licking himself.
First, take him to the vet.  The red could indicate an infection.

Second, buy a baby onsie.  I was advised to do that by my vet when my cat had her second surgery, it keeps them from being able to get at the incision.  My cat did give herself an infection by licking the surgery site.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, take him to the vet.  The red could indicate an infection.

Second, buy a baby onsie.  I was advised to do that by my vet when my cat had her second surgery, it keeps them from being able to get at the incision.  My cat did give herself an infection by licking the surgery site.
Well the incision itself looks fine ( no redness, pus, bumps, ect). It's just the two bottom nipples. His incision can't be reached because he's chubby & it's puckered in. The areas around it turn kind of pinkish after he's been licking it for awhile. I'll call the vet or take a picture in to them today just in case though. He has to get his stitches out on Friday so I wanted it avoid taking him back until but if he has an infection, of course I'd rather take him in right away.

Do you think calling them or showing the pic first will be enough, as opposed to just bringing him in?

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
That is a weird looking scar, being so puckered.

It does look a little red around the edges though.  I would say to call the vet, explain the licking concerns and ask what email address you should send the picture to.  That is a really good photo so it should give the vet plenty of information.  Ask for the vet to call you back with his opinion.  Best case, you don't have to take Asti in to make sure he's good.  Worst case, the vet does ask you to bring him in, which you were considering doing anyway.  Cats hate vet visits at the best of times, when recovering from surgery it's best to be avoided if possible as it could depress the immune system.

And I still say get a onsie.  At the very least, the nipples will have time to heal.  Anyone know if the stuff for cracked nipples sold to nursing mothers can be used on a cat?  I would think so since they are designed with the knowledge that little babies will be ingesting the stuff.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is a weird looking scar, being so puckered.

It does look a little red around the edges though.  I would say to call the vet, explain the licking concerns and ask what email address you should send the picture to.  That is a really good photo so it should give the vet plenty of information.  Ask for the vet to call you back with his opinion.  Best case, you don't have to take Asti in to make sure he's good.  Worst case, the vet does ask you to bring him in, which you were considering doing anyway.  Cats hate vet visits at the best of times, when recovering from surgery it's best to be avoided if possible as it could depress the immune system.

And I still say get a onsie.  At the very least, the nipples will have time to heal.  Anyone know if the stuff for cracked nipples sold to nursing mothers can be used on a cat?  I would think so since they are designed with the knowledge that little babies will be ingesting the stuff.

So far, he hasn't licked very much today, other than at his arms & paws. He ended up peeing a very small amount of blood this morning (the pee was normal sized; the amount of blood was small). I actually don't even live a minute from his vet's office so I'll probably just drive over there & show the picture. To be honest, I was scared when I first saw the surgery area. It's like they pulled a chunk of fat out (which they would've had to). But I wasn't expecting it at all.

Last edited: