Limping

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over the last 1 1/2 weeks, I've noticed my moggy pausing a lot more often when he walks. This morning, when he got up, I noticed he was limping; his weight sinks onto his right leg when he walks. We have an appointment with the vet on Tuesday (1 Oct)... should I wait till then?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
What you could do (if your schedule(s) allow it) is ask your vet to call you if they have an earlier cancellation so he could be seen sooner. that being said, I don't *think* this is an emergency situation. you're doing the right thing by having him looked at regardless. As long as he is eating/being his usual social/litterboxing normally/etc.. I think you're ok to wait.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are able too take a video of your cat limping, sometimes the cat will act normal at the vet and the vet may not be able to see what the limping looks like.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is your cat? Could this be arthritis? Does he go outside? Have you checked to make sure there is no injury/swelling/laceration/etc.? Do you think the condition has worsened over the past 1 1/2 weeks?

I think what Leomc123 Leomc123 suggested is a great idea - about the video. A lot of times when a cat goes to the vet, their adrenaline is in over-drive and that can affect how they react/behave when they are there.

And, a lot of vets will accommodate calling you when an appointment has been cancelled, as EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie has suggested, if you can manage it with your schedule.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner, he's estimated to be about 12. He doesn't go outside. I checked the leg that seems to be affected and there doesn't seem to be any swelling or lumps. He went blind in July so he might've injured something because he can't see. As for the condition worsening, 1/12- weeks ago I noticed he was hesitating a lot more when he walked and walking slower, but on Thursday he suddenly started limping. I took a video and will show the vet.
Hi. How old is your cat? Could this be arthritis? Does he go outside? Have you checked to make sure there is no injury/swelling/laceration/etc.? Do you think the condition has worsened over the past 1 1/2 weeks?

I think what Leomc123 Leomc123 suggested is a great idea - about the video. A lot of times when a cat goes to the vet, their adrenaline is in over-drive and that can affect how they react/behave when they are there.

And, a lot of vets will accommodate calling you when an appointment has been cancelled, as EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie has suggested, if you can manage it with your schedule.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
update: my moggy was very fierce at the vet's today, so they rescheduled him to get X-rays under sedation tomorrow after he's fasted. He hisses when touched in the lumbar region when he's walking (that's what caused him to get so fierce at the vet's), but he has no pain there when he's resting.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask for an injection of steroid. It helps all my cats with any inflammation, joint problems, and skin conditions. It wouldn't hurt.....