Limping Kitten....lethargic

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued a wee little kitten that someone had dumped on the highway outside my work a week ago. The vet checked her out, but she is too young for shots. He wanted to wait for a dewormer since she was a bit traumatized and underweight. She is scheduled for her dewormer next week.

This morning when I got up, she was limping a little on one front paw. She is eating as long as I hand feed her, she does not want to stand to eat. She is sleeping most of the day (though, she has done that before being a small kitten of course) and will roll over for belly rubs and play with my hand a bit if I go to pet her. No pain response when checking belly, bowels, etc. Just on her one front paw and that is a very mild response. Does not appear to be any broken bones, not dislocated, etc. Gums are pink and look good.

Eyes & nose are clear. Breathing fine. Just concerned since there is no animal hospital here (very small town) and of course no vets open until Monday. Any advice appreciated.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Absent an X-ray, you can’t really tell if it’s broken or dislocated. My thinking is that if her leg hurts so badly that she can’t stand to eat, then it could be serious. The concern would be that, if her leg is broken or dislocated, she could injure it further, or even hurt another limb while compensating.

Where are you located? We can help you find an emergency vet within driving distance. Veterinary Schools will also have 24/7 clinics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absent an X-ray, you can’t really tell if it’s broken or dislocated. My thinking is that if her leg hurts so badly that she can’t stand to eat, then it could be serious. The concern would be that, if her leg is broken or dislocated, she could injure it further, or even hurt another limb while compensating.

Where are you located? We can help you find an emergency vet within driving distance. Veterinary Schools will also have 24/7 clinics.

Thank you for your reply and offer but I did locate one about 2 hours round trip. They could not even find any inflammation. Though she did mew as they played around with it. They said most likely a small pull or sprain. Some ice about 10 mins a couple times a day will make sure it does not swell and also help with any pain.

Got her home, offered her the wet food and she ate on her own. Over reacted I know, but I have had kittens go downhill fast over the years. They are fragile and I worry. Just glad she is alright. If she is still limping in 24 hours I am to take her to the regular vet. But she is going there anyway for her dewormer.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your reply and offer but I did locate one about 2 hours round trip. They could not even find any inflammation. Though she did mew as they played around with it. They said most likely a small pull or sprain. Some ice about 10 mins a couple times a day will make sure it does not swell and also help with any pain.

Got her home, offered her the wet food and she ate on her own. Over reacted I know, but I have had kittens go downhill fast over the years. They are fragile and I worry. Just glad she is alright. If she is still limping in 24 hours I am to take her to the regular vet. But she is going there anyway for her dewormer.
I’m glad to hear that it wasn’t too serious. I was thinking about your kitten since I saw your first post and so I’m relieved to hear that she’s okay. I hope she heals quickly.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is so cute. I am so glad that she is doing better now. You are right, the little ones can go downhill really fast. They just don't have the reserves that they have as they get older.