Limping Cat Vet

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi My cat is around 10 years old, and he has been limping for around 2 months. I took my cat to the vet for an xray and the vet says there is no fractures or broken bones. I have uploaded 2 photos of my cat left leg. When he walks he wont put weight on it, and when he sits, he has his left leg under him, it slides into that position. He never used to sit like that. When he is walking straight the left leg is moved in an outward position like it is loose . The vet also didn't say exactly what the issue is cause when my cat is at the vet he doesn't show this when the vet is examining him. When my cat is on my bed , he has trouble get comfy to the point he starts meowing and then attacks me. If i pick him up and put him on the ground gently he stops meowing. The vet has given the cat Loxicom , but i think there is something else going on. Please have a look at the photos.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd take him in for a second opinion with a different vet. If he is holding that leg like that there is something painful. When my boy held his leg like that there was a break. I know you had x-rays but sometimes breaks can hide on x-rays, my vet manipulates the leg and take multiple angles to be sure. The other option is muscle or ligament damage, which would not be apparent on xrays.

The anti-inflammatory your vet gave will help eventually if it is ligament or muscle damage. It would take time though and you might want to ask about a pain medication in the mean time. Another possibility is consipation, long shot but a thought.

When my boy did that it was a rebreak of a broken leg. He still holds the leg oddly two years later but also has developed arthritis in the leg. So it may be something your boy will just do. But that he is crying out makes me worried that what's been done isn't really helping.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's definitely pain, and I'd definitely be asking for a second opinion. I had to look up Loxicom; it's a prescription only NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug); aspirin, ibuprofen, and and Tylenol all fall into this category. If it's an injection, it's restricted to one use only, because it can cause renal failure if used more than once. If it's administered orally it's only safe to use it for 2 weeks, maximum, and 1 week would be better.
Loxicom 5 mg/mL Solution for Injection for Cats for Animal Use - Drugs.com
Loxicom 0.5mg/ml Oral Suspension for cats POM

Loxicom seems to be a trade name. The active ingredient in Loxicom is Meloxicam:
Meloxicam - Wikipedia

You need a proper diagnosis for your cat, not a speculative treatment with a dangerous drug.

Margret