Limiting A Kitten’s Natural Desire To Play :(

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mango has shown on an X-ray that his heart might be enlarged. I plan on spending all my $ from my upcoming birthday on getting him an ultrasound, but until that time I’ve been trying to limit his play sessions so he doesn’t put strain on his heart while we don’t know what we’re dealing with. I’d just like to get some opinions on whether people agree that this is necessary, and how will this effect Mango’s mood and behavior? He’s 8 months and loves running it’s been really hard to keep him relaxed all day when he use to have scheduled vigorous play sessions at the same time every day. In the 2 weeks Since the day his X-ray showed possible (minor) heart enlargement I’ve just been limiting the play to slow-paced stalking and catching 5-10 mins several times a day. Thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - Bless you!
I think you're on the right track trying to slow him down, but I'm wondering if something like these would help to work off some energy without putting him in danger.
can you obtain platter style chase-it toys? some kickaroo type toys?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How well is he tolerating the reduced activity level?

If he seems to be handling it okay - even if he isn't thrilled with it - I would keep on keeping on.

My one concern, though, would be if he's becoming more stressed out by being held back from playing than he would be by just getting some exercise. Only you can really make that determination, since you're the one actually observing him, so I would go with your gut until you are able to receive specific instructions from your vet about what to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - Bless you!
I think you're on the right track trying to slow him down, but I'm wondering if something like these would help to work off some energy without putting him in danger.
can you obtain platter style chase-it toys? some kickaroo type toys?
Omg that’s actually the first toy I ever bought him and he still loves it.
0E3AD2B6-1CFE-4D27-9FE5-1329078F6ABC.jpeg
10DE89B4-915B-4ABD-9A1D-964C258CFBD5.jpeg

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
limiting a kittens desire to play is such a hard thing to do, even when necessary, they dont understand. Been there, tried to do that with my little girl and her spay site. Even if sick and or in pain they still have a natural desire to play and play hard. Like you i would be hesitant to play hard right now.

Did the vet talk to you about his activity, or anything? I would not want to run him hard i don't think. light play, like you are doing, so he doesn't get his heart rate up too much. Lots of attention so he doesn't get bored or frustrated :) Keep us updated on his progress, and test results!

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
limiting a kittens desire to play is such a hard thing to do, even when necessary, they dont understand. Been there, tried to do that with my little girl and her spay site. Even if sick and or in pain they still have a natural desire to play and play hard. Like you i would be hesitant to play hard right now.

Did the vet talk to you about his activity, or anything? I would not want to run him hard i don't think. light play, like you are doing, so he doesn't get his heart rate up too much. Lots of attention so he doesn't get bored or frustrated :) Keep us updated on his progress, and test results!
The vet seemed like they weren’t really able to give any info or recommendation
Unless they know what’s going on. Their options for me: either a referral to a feline cardiologist to do an ultrasound or “we could just go on with our lives”. The latter option is not something I’m ok with, so this is all I have to work with until I see the cardiologist. I’m assuming the vet doesn’t want to be in the position of giving recommendations and then something happens to Mango.. but I’m not sure

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be my guess too. He wants the cardiologist to check it out, and then make recommendations on the ultrasound results. He is most likely wise to do this, as he could give incorrect recommendations without all of the test results.

I would do as you are ,keep him calm...as possible for a kitten, not locked down or anything, just dont play hard. Love on the cute little guy and see what the cardiologist has to say.
I hopeful that all will turn out well for you all.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
That would be my guess too. He wants the cardiologist to check it out, and then make recommendations on the ultrasound results. He is most likely wise to do this, as he could give incorrect recommendations without all of the test results.

I would do as you are ,keep him calm...as possible for a kitten, not locked down or anything, just dont play hard. Love on the cute little guy and see what the cardiologist has to say.
I hopeful that all will turn out well for you all.
Thank you. I appreciate your kindness. Mango just walked in and licked my arm :lol: