Limited Ingredient That Is Kitten Friendly

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As my middle aged cat either has a food allergy/sensitivity (scratches her face/neck/ears to bleeding, has licked between back toes raw in the past) I am currently doing a food trial(Royal Canin PD dry and Merrick LID Duck ) and trying to eliminate any other chances of her eating stuff she shouldn't. We are fostering a 11 week old kitten and he prefers her food, but I know it is geared for adults. Is there anything comparable to the RC PD that is kitten friendly that I can offer him? We think my female has chicken and fish allergies as she got itchier and and still had a puking episode on RC gastro, last puking/diarrhea/itchy epiosode was on Acana Fish/canned food that were fish only so anything with those is a no go. I'm in Canada as well.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that Nature's Variety Instinct makes a duck and pea limited ingredient wet canned food that is labeled for all life stages. They also make a rabbit and pea-based LID dry food that might work for your adult as well.

Natural Balance also makes a duck and pea wet and dry food that is for all life stages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll have a look at those. It's beyond frustrating trying to find something that works just for my girl as chicken and fish are in everything it seems.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll have a look at those. It's beyond frustrating trying to find something that works just for my girl as chicken and fish are in everything it seems.
Yes, I've had that problem with chicken too. If you are in need of other LID diet recommendations LTS3 LTS3 maintains a list of different LID foods. I hope the duck and pea diet works out for you.

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping it works as well. It's been almost 2 weeks and she has almost cleared up all her scabs/scratches on her chin and neck. She's still been scratching in front of her one ear though, I'm just hoping that it is because hasn't been enough time on the Royal Canin.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping it works as well. It's been almost 2 weeks and she has almost cleared up all her scabs/scratches on her chin and neck. She's still been scratching in front of her one ear though, I'm just hoping that it is because hasn't been enough time on the Royal Canin.
That's really great!:banana1: It sounds like the new diet is working. Sometimes it can take up to 13 weeks for allergy symptoms to completely disappear on a new elimination diet, so stick with it and I'm sure the rest of her itchiness will disappear with time. :party3:

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From way too much time on google :hellocomputer:from the info shared the below is what I have found-
Instinct - could work
Natural Balance duck/pea canned/dry(adult) - Salmon oil in it
Blue Basics duck/potato(adult) - fish oil
Merrick LID canned Duck - is what she is eating along with the RC PD dry
KOHA duck pate -New Zealand Green Mussel
RAWZ duck - salmon oil
Go! Duck and Pea(all stages) - whole egg, chicken fat
Performatrin Ultra Limited Green Pea & Duck(all stages) - chicken fat
Fussie Cat Quail & Duck(all stages) - could maybe work, quail would be something she has never had

I remember my vet saying chicken fat was fine as the allergens are not in the fat? If I can find the KOHA would the mussel be bad for a cat with fish allergies?

If those are both ok, I will be looking at for options as supposedly all are sold where I live,
Instinct
KOHA
Go!
Performatrin
Fussie Cat(maybe)

I think I read more food labels for my cat then I do myself now :catlove:

I'm just hoping that in a couple weeks I'm not starting over with what protein she can eat as it's almost getting to feeling like she is allergic to the world. Bright side is the kitten eats everything we put in front of him, so if she puts her nose up at options he will be more than happy to eat it...

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From way too much time on google :hellocomputer:from the info shared the below is what I have found-
Instinct - could work
Natural Balance duck/pea canned/dry(adult) - Salmon oil in it
Blue Basics duck/potato(adult) - fish oil
Merrick LID canned Duck - is what she is eating along with the RC PD dry
KOHA duck pate -New Zealand Green Mussel
RAWZ duck - salmon oil
Go! Duck and Pea(all stages) - whole egg, chicken fat
Performatrin Ultra Limited Green Pea & Duck(all stages) - chicken fat
Fussie Cat Quail & Duck(all stages) - could maybe work, quail would be something she has never had

I remember my vet saying chicken fat was fine as the allergens are not in the fat? If I can find the KOHA would the mussel be bad for a cat with fish allergies?

If those are both ok, I will be looking at for options as supposedly all are sold where I live,
Instinct
KOHA
Go!
Performatrin
Fussie Cat(maybe)

I think I read more food labels for my cat then I do myself now :catlove:

I'm just hoping that in a couple weeks I'm not starting over with what protein she can eat as it's almost getting to feeling like she is allergic to the world. Bright side is the kitten eats everything we put in front of him, so if she puts her nose up at options he will be more than happy to eat it...
Usually food allergies are to proteins, so cats with fish/chicken allergies can eat the fats and fish oils contained in foods like Blue Basics and Natural balance. The only thing to keep in mind is that these diets are not hypoallergenic. It is possible for them to use oils and fats that contain trace amounts of the proteins, or for the machines they are manufactured with to contaminate the food with trace amounts of ingredients from other batches of food.

If you are worried about trace amounts of proteins from other sources then you should look at hypoallergenic diets like the Hills Z/D or Rayne. I think it is worth trying the non-prescription diets though.

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to know on the oil, I had heard conflicting reports on oils and the chicken fat, sometimes it is easier to just try and avoid things if uncertain(which with some ingredients I am finding nigh impossible). What about egg? Is that a avoid if possible?

She is on Royal Canin Select Protein which is what the vet suggested for her on for this food trial and was ok with the Merrick canned as they didn't have any canned RC(special order only I guess). I'm just more wanting options for the kitten that if she gets into will hopefully not set off a puking/gas & diarrhea episode. She is a picky eater on top of sensitive stomach/itchy, but things always look better if not allowed to have I have found.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good to know on the oil, I had heard conflicting reports on oils and the chicken fat, sometimes it is easier to just try and avoid things if uncertain(which with some ingredients I am finding nigh impossible). What about egg? Is that a avoid if possible?

She is on Royal Canin Select Protein which is what the vet suggested for her on for this food trial and was ok with the Merrick canned as they didn't have any canned RC(special order only I guess). I'm just more wanting options for the kitten that if she gets into will hopefully not set off a puking/gas & diarrhea episode. She is a picky eater on top of sensitive stomach/itchy, but things always look better if not allowed to have I have found.
Eggs are iffy. Some cats that are allergic to chicken have no problems with chicken eggs. Other cats are allergic to both chicken and their eggs. For your initial 13 week trial I'd recommend you stick to the simplest combination of proteins possible (just duck and pea). Once you have got her stable then if needed you can slowly expand the range of proteins you feed to test other ingredients. So maybe at 13 weeks you introduce the duck, pea and egg food to see if that causes her problems. Then if the egg seems ok you can look at other ingredients.

I agree it's always good to have a few options for a plan B diet in case what you are feeding now doesn't work. Rabbit, venison, or kangaroo are good backups :)

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's kinda what we were hoping to do, take time in introducing new foods to her, while still trying to keep the kitten well fed. Though with as big of pig he is that shouldn't be too hard to feed him. Is it a 13 week period for every new food introduction?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
13 weeks is the maximum amount of time that you give to the initial trial before deciding whether or not the new food is working. You might not have to wait the entire length of the trial if all the symptoms clear up. For testing new foods I don't know how long it takes. This website suggests that itching should reappear within a week: Food Allergies and Food Trials for Dogs and Cats - Pet Dermatology Clinic
Timelines are probably very individual though. Hopefully someone else comes along with a better idea of exact timelines.