Lilly is a tiny terror

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I haven't had a kitten since I was a kid (15 years ago) and I totally forgot how to deal with them! Pandora and Hurley were both rescued as adults.

Lilly is a terror! She's 8 weeks old and she plays extremely rough, biting very hard. She has been keeping us up all night long attacking our faces and eyes. She bit me really hard on the cheek last night and drew blood! After that I had to banish her to the bathroom so my husband and I could get some sleep.

How can I stop her from biting and how do I teach her to keep her claws in? So far she has no idea what no means. LOL

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Charlie was like when he was in that age. Maybe they just don't know that they are too rough because they are so young

d3sire86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lola does this too! If I pick her up she goes right for the face. She scratched my chin pretty bad the other day.

The last time I had kittens I had two at once and they saved all the biting/scratching play for each other. I think that Lola does all her 'kitten moves' on me because she is the only kitten in the house.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ginga does something like this, she bits ears and chins! Her teeth and claws are really sharp! She gets really playful sometimes, she belly rakes (pushes her hind paws in a motion as though she's running LOL) I think they do this because they are young. I'm quite sure she will grow out of it, as will Ginga.

I hope it gets better,
Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad my kittens learned from each other. They screamed at each other when they got too rough, and I mimicked with them the same I did with my pup..if they get rough, I "ow" and stop playing. It worked on the dog and it seems to have worked on the kitten- they know to keep their claws in, and if they don't - no more playing. It also helps to have a toy handy to distract them, though that doesn't work at night...I'm glad my boys just suckle and lick when I'm trying to sleep, lmao

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the wonderful world of kittenhood.

I have always found that they just eventually grow out of it personally. I would always just grin and bear it, ignore them when they get too rough and praise them when they're sweet and docile.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As wonderfully sweet as my Casey
became, he was not fun to live with during his "formative" months!
I can laugh now (and cry, because I miss him so), but kittenhood is rough on pet parents! They are little imps, that is for sure! But cute little imps!

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best solution? Get another kitten about her age. Kittens love to play, she is just being a kitten. This stuff is normal! But if you get two kittens they will expend most of that playing energy on each other and usually grow up to be very fond companions of each other for life.