Lil Bit's First litter (and with any luck only)

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lil Bit whom I've posted on in other areas of the site is currently 19-20 months old and back in January when she was supposed to be spayed she got out for just over a week anyway we brought her back in and everything was good untill late last month when we realized she'd gotten preggers while gone anyway today she gave birth to 3 kittens one she cleaned and tried to care for but squished and I found the other two sharing the same clear sack of fluid but as it was cold by the time I found out... okay let me back up a minute for the past week sence she started washing obsessively I've been putting lil bit in a pet carrier designed for a large dog at night with a small dish of food and water and a small makeshift potty box in the back corner well last night I took out the food and water as she wasn't interested in eating or drinking yesterday and had put her foot in the water, anyway I guess i woke up this morning and had to rush get my grandfather to a Dr appointment 30 min away I placed the water in her bed and closed it up,when we got back I found she had given birth to the kittens and they were all cold to the touch. Should I be worried about complications from the two that were born in the same sack? And is it common for a first time queen to loose the whole litter?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was confused by your post. I’m so sorry. If mom had opened the sac and licked them so they started breathing, they may have survived, but she did not. She’s clearly inexperienced.

It’s time now to get her spayed so this does not happen again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was confused by your post. I’m so sorry. If mom had opened the sac and licked them so they started breathing, they may have survived, but she did not. She’s clearly inexperienced.

It’s time now to get her spayed so this does not happen again.
That's the plan. Though I will have to try the other vet near by as our vet can't get to her untill June 23rd and I have to pay half of the $95 up front as in today when the appointment is made.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whatever vet you choose, she needs spaying sooner than later, and you cannot let her out under any circumstances until she is spayed or she Will mate again and you’ll be in the exact same position again. Set aside the money and get the appointment.

Again, I’m so sorry for the lost kittens. May they rest in peace.:angel: :rbheart:

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't let her out normally I was bringing the pet carrier I had just bought in from the car as the old one was in use by Butter who's one of the younger cats in my home who had issues with staying out of the food bag (note not eating my a lot but tearing a hole in the bag and making a mess) and trash when I was not home, as he's grown some now at the age of 9 mos he has grown out of it and no longer needs confined when I leave the house, and I had loaned out the bigger one to my sister so anyway as I was bringing it in one of the ferals we have a colony of 4 got in and as I was trying to shoo her out lil bit got out as well as the feral was one of Lil Bit's former litter mates I think she recognized her but Parfume was never friendly. Anyway we found her finally well that's taking it a bit far she was standing at the door when the weather turned back to the normal cold she was at the door demanding to come back in...lol.. anyway I'm going to the other vet to see if they can get her in sooner I'm hoping for payday which is a week from Friday and I don't mind paying a bit more but paying half down is a bit irritating when the appointment is so freaking far off. So I'll try the other vet in the Am and see when they can get her in their a bit higher and don't have the same friendly open manner and are still on covid restrictions where you can not accompany your pet past the waiting room (found this out when my dog developed by severe diarrhea due to a dog treat allergy last month when normal vet was out of her office) anyway they also like to keep your pet overnight after surgery. Which is my only concern with them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Butter neutered? If not, keep them separated. He's old enough now to get her pregnant.

Sorry for the loss :frown:. It's not too unusual for first-time mothers to lose some or all of the kittens, but not entirely common either.

Half down on $95 isn't too bad. . .I suppose they're trying to make sure that you won't cancel the appointment. But not being able to get her in until the end of June IS a big deal! I hope the other vet can get her in soon.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are usually separated as butter doesn't care for her and he's not nutered yet same reason vet timing he was supposed to have been buttered on the 10th but my uncle passed on the 4th (Alzheimer's went down hill faster after covid last fall age 70) and that was the funeral date(I had to go I'm the sole live in caregiver for my 93 year old Grandfather his father who's mobility impaired uses a walker and can't drive) so I rescheduled it for next month the 30th of April it's only $60 and $15 down who h I don't mind I gave them another $15 when I rescheduled it on the 4th.. some reason it's faster...🤔 Anyway no worries on desperation and I'm willing to go to the next town over 30 mi away for a faster date don't like to take a cat that far but will if I have to (3 different vets) but I won't pay over $120 for the spay.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Found out that the other vet in town is actually cheeper $85-90 depending on her weight as the pain shot is $15-20 and is priced by the cats weight they have to keep her overnight but they will do the spay Monday the 4th of April...so Yea!! Getting Dora spayed at the same time so after this next month (April) I will only have one unfixed outdoor cat..now if I could just figure out how to keep my big boy Royal from vocalizing all night he was nutered in February.