Lightweight Litter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
What is it? What makes it lightweight? I buy a lot of litter and I'm not very strong. I have a hard time carrying 2 40 lb boxes of litter out of my car, thought the door, through the house, down the rickity steps into the basement. I'm always tempted to buy the lightweight stuff to make it easier on myself.

Luna is SO fussy with her litter though. I can change brands of clay litter. As long as its clumping clay litter. She will not tolerate a different type of litter, like a natural litter, mixed in to even one of the boxes. So if the lightweight litter is significantly different than normal clay litter, this won't work and she'll poop on the carpet.

So then...is it pretty much the same? Or will it feel different to walk on? Does it clump as well as the regular stuff?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have started repackaging my heavy bags of litter in the trunk of my car. I scoop it into bags that are closer to 5 lbs each to carry in. I have also had one smaller pet store that would sell me the smaller bags for the price of the larger one to help me with this when they have the smaller bags in stock.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use the lightweight litter, our cat sitter is an older woman so it's easier for her to handle. Plus it makes moving litter boxes so much easier.

I don't notice a difference between it and regular weight texture or performance. It does tend to cost more. Some people Butsay it is dustier, I haven't noticed but we usually just have the litter box in the catio. The other complaint people tend to have is it tracks more. Again, maybe my cats are generally messier but I've never noticed. I tend to sweep around the litter box daily when I clean it so maybe I just don't notice because I clean more?

I buy the large containers through Chewy and it tends to be several dollars cheaper than at the physical store.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought it was great at 1st. But, it sticks to our cats paws and dries into something like concrete. That was a horrible ordeal, trying to get it out from between her toes.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t like lightweight litter, I swear it feels like it’s mixed with styrofoam, bc when I used TidyCat lightweight, it sure melted into what looked like puddles of styrofoam and yes, it stuck to my poor cat everywhere. Ugh. Not worth it. Not all lightweight litters were that bad, but still, I’d rather take a granny cart and lug a big box of litter.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t like lightweight litter, I swear it feels like it’s mixed with styrofoam, bc when I used TidyCat lightweight, it sure melted into what looked like puddles of styrofoam and yes, it stuck to my poor cat everywhere. Ugh. Not worth it. Not all lightweight litters were that bad, but still, I’d rather take a granny cart and lug a big box of litter.
TidyCat Lightweight is what we had problems with as well. Best I could tell, she got her feet wet while burying. The litter then got on her feet and dried up like concrete in the fur between her toes. It was really difficult to remove.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. doesn't sound very good. I didn't open it yet. I could still return it to Wal-Mart.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. doesn't sound very good. I didn't open it yet. I could still return it to Wal-Mart.
It may have just been the box? Or the cat? I'm pretty sure this was our 2nd box/jug of this stuff. On the 1st one we thought it was GREAT! Light, easy to scoop, clumped good...just GREAT!
But on the 2nd jug, the longhair cat immediately had problems. So, rather than toss it, we just continued to use it for the short haired cats box. No problems there and his box is usually a nightmare to scoop. But, he's not a big "digger" either.
So, it might have been the cat.
OR, the jug. We have switched before because of a jug of normal Tidy Cat not working like previous jugs. Sure seems like there may be a lot of variation when it comes to quality control. And that for sure was the litter. Had a few jugs in a row that didn't work like previous for ALL the cats.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have heard too many complaints about the dust in the reviews to go forward with trying it. I suck it up and haul the 42lb bag in the elevator up to my apartment and then onto the toilet, where I pour it into his box from there. It's not so tough to handle except for that first time when its's full.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not really that I can't lift it. It's more that I just don't want to. In other words, I'm lazy. If there is an easier way to something I will find it.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TidyCat Lightweight is what we had problems with as well. Best I could tell, she got her feet wet while burying. The litter then got on her feet and dried up like concrete in the fur between her toes. It was really difficult to remove.
Same here! It’s like the litter melts when when my cat peed on it, plus it just ran off instead of sinking into the litter, so it pooled around his feet.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I returned it to walmart and bought arm & hammer multi cat. I wanted something better than Paws n Claws. My new apartment might not have a basement and Paws n claws isn't really the best. I'll probably end up buying ever clean. I liked that litter a lot.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I returned it to walmart and bought arm & hammer multi cat. I wanted something better than Paws n Claws. My new apartment might not have a basement and Paws n claws isn't really the best. I'll probably end up buying ever clean. I liked that litter a lot.
I've not tried all that many different brands, but, I truly hate Arm&Hammer litter. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried most of the lightweight clumping litters. The one I like the best and use most exclusively is Cats Pride Fresh n Light.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried most of the lightweight clumping litters. The one I like the best and use most exclusively is Cats Pride Fresh n Light.
I may try that. I really liked the "red lid" Tidy Cat (not lightweight). But, they were out of it one day and I got Arm&Hammer instead. Almost finished with it, and when I am, I'll be done for good. LOL

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats tend to spill the boxes when I use lightweight litter, but it may just be them being klutzes and/or little mischief imps. I don't think everyone has that problem.