Lightweight Cat Litter = Respiratory Issues

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just recently switched from tidy cat lightweight litter to the regular clumping one and have noticed Indy's nose and eyes have cleared up.

Since the day I brought her home her right eye and nostril have been running and watering due to a deformity narrowing her tear duct but never guessed her litter could be causing it to become completely blocked.

The lightweight litter is extremely dusty despite being advertised as dust free on the websites selling it. To make it worse, the grains of litter crush into more dust after being stepped on. This dust makes it's way up the nose and in cats with an already narrow passage, the dust can clump and completely block the nostril or tear duct.

I originally switched because I was sick of the tracking but didn't know it was also agrivating Indy's respiratory system.

Just though I would put this out there so others can know about my experience.

Has anyone else ever tried the lightweight litter and had a simaler experience?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just though I would put this out there so others can know about my experience. Has anyone else ever tried the lightweight litter and had a simaler experience?
Thanks for mentioning your observation with the litter. I use clumping litter and have never tried lightweight litter although I'm sure other members who have will weigh in with their opinions. Good luck with Indy's respiratory issues, I hope she continues to improve. :vibes:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just recently switched from tidy cat lightweight litter to the regular clumping one and have noticed Indy's nose and eyes have cleared up.

Since the day I brought her home her right eye and nostril have been running and watering due to a deformity narrowing her tear duct but never guessed her litter could be causing it to become completely blocked.

The lightweight litter is extremely dusty despite being advertised as dust free on the websites selling it. To make it worse, the grains of litter crush into more dust after being stepped on. This dust makes it's way up the nose and in cats with an already narrow passage, the dust can clump and completely block the nostril or tear duct.

I originally switched because I was sick of the tracking but didn't know it was also agrivating Indy's respiratory system.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I too had switched to the lightweight litter to make it easier on my back, but have found that it is really dusty! So much so that I now have to dust the cat box/laundry room about 5 times a day. It doesn't seem to bother the cat, but somehow it seems like there must be a better solution. I hate to always ask my spouse to pour it for me. Thank goodness though you can buy UNscented litter as that really is key. I wish they never would have invented scented, migrainy, sickening fragrance additives. Glad you were able to discover the problem and save your kitty from more stress, Indyjones!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this thread just referring to clay litter? I'm guessing it probably depends on what the litter is made of, and even then, each bag of litter can vary in the amount of dust it has.

The grass litter I'm using is probably the most lightweight I've ever used and it's also the least dusty.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this thread just referring to clay litter? I'm guessing it probably depends on what the litter is made of, and even then, each bag of litter can vary in the amount of dust it has.

The grass litter I'm using is probably the most lightweight I've ever used and it's also the least dusty.
Yes, the lightweight clay litter. It's specifically labeled "lightweight" on the containers.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was given a sample pack of it (enough for a very small litter box filled to an inch depth) and I tried it. From the moment of pouring it and having a cloud of dust billowing out and up made me decide never to buy it.

Shade sniffed it and sneezed hard which caused another cloud of dust to billow away from him. He moved over to the original litter boxed and used it.

Noka was up next and climbed into the small box but each step caused the dust to stir then she started to dig and it look like a small sandstorm happening. She used it but she did not like it as it caused her to be sneezing for over a minute after using it. I think she got a bunch of dust in her nose.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Azazel, it sounds like the grass litter is probably the best. Does it have a brand name, where can I purchase it; or do you make it yourself??? I'd sure like to give it a try. Thanks.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Azazel, it sounds like the grass litter is probably the best. Does it have a brand name, where can I purchase it; or do you make it yourself??? I'd sure like to give it a try. Thanks.
It is definitely the best one I’ve used in terms of natural litters that clump and aren’t dusty. It does, however, like all litters that are lightweight, track a lot. It’s a trade off for me between dust/health of my cats and the tracking. I just clean around their litter boxes often.

Here’s a link to the litter: Smart Cat Litter – Pioneer Pet

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd never heard of lightweight litter! We switched from Fresh Step to Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief when one of our cats had a couple (asthma-like) coughing fits shortly after we adopted her. We've been using Dr. Elsey's ever since (almost six years now) and Ireland only rarely coughs now. I couldn't agree more that a change in litter can be good for a cat's respiratory symptoms! It's better for us, too: Fresh Step was very perfumed and the dust stuck to everything.

Dr. Elsey's is definitely heavy. It's pretty low-dust and it clumps well, though it does track quite a bit. It's expensive but it's so much better for Ireland and us that I'm not complaining.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Azazel thank you for the link!
I just went to the link and realized that Smart Cat also now has a "lightweight" clay litter. That's not the one I use and I wonder if it would be just as dusty as other lightweight clay ones. I would definitely recommend their original "natural" grass one.

mackstarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my Winnie has had a sensitive respiratory system since he was a kitten due to damage from URIs. He had a lot of wheezing and asthma and we found that the litter was the main problem. We now use the recycled newspaper pellet litter. It is cheap, doesn't track, and has no dust. The only downside is it doesn't mask smell very well, but we keep a wax melter in the room and clean it daily. We also wet his dry food and mix it with some wet food to avoid any dust and crumbs from that bothering his nose. Hope this is helpful (:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

No but thanks to someone on this forum I started using chick feed - the crumbles for the baby chicks - as litter and I love it. It clumps, is a whole lot cheaper than the clumping litter, and has very little dust. I get it at Tractor Supply.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No but thanks to someone on this forum I started using chick feed - the crumbles for the baby chicks - as litter and I love it. It clumps, is a whole lot cheaper than the clumping litter, and has very little dust. I get it at Tractor Supply.
I'm going to swing by my local Tractor Supply and take a look at it.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, my Winnie has had a sensitive respiratory system since he was a kitten due to damage from URIs. He had a lot of wheezing and asthma and we found that the litter was the main problem. We now use the recycled newspaper pellet litter. It is cheap, doesn't track, and has no dust. The only downside is it doesn't mask smell very well, but we keep a wax melter in the room and clean it daily. We also wet his dry food and mix it with some wet food to avoid any dust and crumbs from that bothering his nose. Hope this is helpful (:
I have a couple boxes with just newspaper. It's free, no dust, and masks the pee smell well. Of course when they poop, you know immediately. But they're probably the same ones that don't cover their poop when they use the litter either, so six in one hand, half dozen in the other.