Light Greenish Greyish Poop

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I recently started fostering a kitty that was thrown out by the owner and was living on the streets for a month or so. He just had his bloodwork done again a week ago, mostly normal, his kidney values are coming back down to almost normal (they were quite high due to dehydration & fever). We noticed in the last few days that his poops are in a light greenish greyish color, consistency is ok. They went from deep brown color 2-3 weeks ago to getting lighter and lighter, and now it's a pale greenish greyish light brown. Could this be an effect from food? I'm not sure of the exact timeline and whether they coincide with us switching his food, he was on the BFF cans for a week then switched to Friskies. And I'm switching now to dry food to see if it's the issue with Friskies.

He is behaving normally, plays, good appetite, drinks plenty of water now I switched him to dry food. I spoke to the vet and they said it could be parasites, but he's been an indoor cat and not let out since he's with us. Any idea what this could be and what I could do?

Any advice is appreciated!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I could be food. In humans, greyish stool can indicate liver issues, but am unsure about cats. That said, once one person on here answers a thread it can trigger a slew of responses, so I thought that I would "seed the need!"

I'm so glad you found TCS. Welcome. Hang in there, some more experienced members will be along shortly, I'm sure!

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My only experience is with humans, but green/grey color can be caused by bile in the poop. That would mean an issue with the liver or gallbladder. However, if he just had blood-work that probably should have been detected. The other common cause in humans is that the food is moving through the GI tract too quickly. I'm thinking that is probably a likely cause. I think it will go away once his body gets used to the new food. You might consider giving him a little bit of the old food along with it. If it persists for over a week or so or if it worries you I would consider another trip to the vet. Again, I am an RN, but I am definitely not a vet!

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vitamins and supplements could cause it too (in humans). So if you are giving anything other than food, it could be a cause.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this on line "Pale, white, grey or green stools may be indicators of liver disease or intestinal bacterial infections." I would take him and a sample to the vet just to be sure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the input! we've found out that it really was the food that's causing the green grey stool. after few days of dry food, this morning his poop is completely back to normal color! think he finally got all the friskies out of his system. thank goodness it's nothing more than that :redheartpump: i just can't believe friskies can change poop color like that :barf:

haiitsvi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG I just started my cat on Friskies and he also just had a pale poop this morning! We are going to the vet on Monday for another issue but i’ll Also consider switching his food.

catdawg23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Friskies is worst food. Made the mistake of feeding it to my cats for years then 2 had teeth problems and realized half the ingredients werent what you thought. Look at their beef and fish... you can buy beef and it will have fish listed in ingredients and vice versa. Use Purina, such better food.

catdawg23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Friskies might be made by Purina but its a lower cost lower quality high sodium cat food.