Life with Lola, always complicated!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a problem & am not having success solving it on my own.

Lola will be 4 years old in the spring, if I'm remembering right? Anyways, she's the seizure kitty, the perpetual kitten. Based on her behaviors it is suspected that her seizures are caused by her 'wires being crossed'.

On that note - Lola has no fear. She has never grown up. She's insanely curious, in everything. Incessantly underfoot. She is slow to feel pain (has stepped on a hot burned, stood there, got down, walked across the house - then yelled out in pain). It's almost as though she never got blessed with common sense!

The struggle is to keep her occupied. She's wicked smart! She's almost got lever/lever door knobs figured out.
She LOVES crinkle balls & noisy ball toys. She enjoys Da Bird. She's OCD about the laser light, and any light reflections anywhere.

I've gotten her turbo tracks, turbo scratchers, a panic mouse (she's bored with it), treat balls (hasn't figured them out yet), spring toys, mice toys, toys, toys, toys, toys!

She's bored. Out. Of. Her. Mind. She's always chasing the other cats, wanting them to play with her - they can't get away from her, they're going crazy with her incessant antics. It's case of the kitten her age (Gumby) has matured, and she hasn't, so she has no playmate.
We play interactively for 15 mins, morning & night. I leave tons of shoes out, as she likes to play with the laces & drag them around (hey if it keeps her occupied....).

Ideas? Toy suggestions? I'm trying to think of things I wouldn't normally think of....trying to think outside the box!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Wendel has a ball that flashes a light when he taps it - keeps him occupied for hours. I think it was $2 at Petsmart...

My first thought was to get (or build) one of those kitty jungle gym/cat trees. My bro has one that kept him sane when his cat was younger, but if I remember correctly, Lola's the one who climbs the cat tree then just walks off the edge when she wants down, right?

Maybe one of those crinkle-play mats with the different toys attached to them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 3 large cat trees upstairs, and several small/medium sized ones. There are also a few downstairs.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Allow me to elaborate on my hurried earlier post. In an effort to occupy Lola, I bought several new cat trees (3 large ones). The picture is attached. It didn't work so great.
She LOVES to sleep on them, can navigate them no problem at all now, but alas it wasn't enough for her.

I think one big impacting factor is she isn't occupied watching the bird feeder all the time now, as there have been less & less birds coming around.

I have the petstages brand (I think that's the brand) light up mat for her, but she doesn't get it. I've found that tennis balls are awesome to her, I gave a few new ones to the dogs tonight & she was happy as a clam playing with one.

Someone mentioned Feliway working for their cat for something else tonight & it occurred to me maybe I should try it for her. I'd need like 4 diffusers to cover the main floor, though.
I will see what I can make work to see if it helps her.

She's just crazy active, like purrmanently stuck at 8 weeks of age.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you foster a kitten? I currently am having issue with the kitten as he play jumps the adults and the youngest cats I have are a year old and pretty sedate

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallaround

Could you foster a kitten? I currently am having issue with the kitten as he play jumps the adults and the youngest cats I have are a year old and pretty sedate
It's something I've quite seriously considered, and have discussed the viability with shelter staff. Problem is that I have more cats than I should already, I hate adding in the extra to my population.

I actually do have a foster kitten who is still in the quarantine phase though, he was most likely dumped off at my house (you know - "Oh she's a cat lady, let's leave him there!"). We've had a lot going around the shelter & I didn't want him there to risk his life, with no other open fosters he's been here.

The thing is I'd quarantine a kitten for 3 weeks or so, once OK introduce him to her, then have him leave to get adopted after a few weeks? It'd be tough, I'm afraid. Hard on my older cats to constantly have new kittens coming/going, and it would suck for her to only have the companion for a few weeks. It's an idea I keep toying with, though.....not sure it's practical but it's an idea.

I think my biggest problem is that she's smarter than I am!
I keep trying to outwit her, but in reality she's outwitting me!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love those cat trees, Nat...

Have you thought about the Fling-ama-String..... its seems like something that could possibly keep her amused.

or maybe something like this....

http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-T...f=cm_lmf_tit_2

this one looks fun and that kitten in the pic is hilarious lol

http://www.amazon.com/Catit-Design-S...=cm_lmf_tit_10

My babies have this and it is lined with crinkly stuff and they love it and will chase each other around in it... or lay in it and stalk kitties walking by

http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-Fun-T...=cm_lmf_tit_15

and this looks fun....

http://www.panicmouseinc.com/index.p...d=51&Itemid=57

here is another fun looking toy...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well silly me, here I am trying to find her amusing cat toys when she found one herself! This morning I came up to a big (bloody) splatter all over - the red guts were at least those of a tomato that had previously been in a large bowl on the counter! I can't believe she figured out how to pick the tomato up out of the bowl.

And Pam - unfortunately we already have several of those toys. We have the panic mouse, which she's become bored w/ so it got put away. We have the undercover mouse, too. I snagged them in Petsmart on clearance before last Christmas. We had the fling ama string, but it broke right away. I keep thinking about buying another one, but I'm not sure how amused the kitties were with it. I do like that Cat It thing, may invest in one of those. We have a few turbo tracks & turbo scratchers that she likes! I have a few tunnels, but nothing as nice as the one you posted the link to!

And because of the major change in her behavioral recently, she'll be going along to the vet Wed to cover my bases.....a whole bunch of the kitties have annual exams, and while she isn't due until Dec for her bi-annual bloodwork I may have them do one now (one was done in June).

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If only Lola were amused with her own foofy tail!

The only thing I could think of, which I'm sure you have too, is rotating toys. Since everyday is new to her, can you divide the toys (includng the scratchers and panic mouse and all that) into 3 or 4 groups, and switch them out after a few days or a week? So it's like she got new toys?
Otherwise... I don't know. Sounds like quite the challenge to keep up with her!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never thought she'd be this much of a problem.
I rotate out some of the toys, some of her favorites she never gets bored w/ I leave out but others I switch in/out. Her tail used to be a good source of amusement, but apparently it's boring now.

I've toyed w/ the idea of getting a "kitty movie", like the cat sitter DVDs....but there are actually quite a few out there. Any reviews of any, or suggestions on a good one to buy?

I'm going through toys on Amazon & adding a ton to my wish list. I may make a pet store run in the next week or so to pick up some toys, etc - otherwise I'll just order a bunch off Amazon.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to ask/suggest it, because I know you're overrun with pets, but what about an aquarium, a.k.a. cat TV?

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried one of the little Hex Bugs? They are only about $5 or $6. I got mine at Radio Shack, but I know Target & alot of stores have them now. What is great about them is that they move so erraticately (not sure of spelling) & if they get knocked over, they just right themselves & keep going.

Anne

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some days I wonder why I bother.....she's was staring at the ceiling fan for over an hour straight.....then got distracted when I dropped a small piece of lettuce on the floor so now she's playing with that.
I think my problem is I underestimate her capabilities, she was so mentally behind in terms of maturity when I brought her home, she's grown immensely since then I just have to grasp that. She's still a perpetual kitten & I wouldn't trade that for the world.
But when she's bored she gets into trouble. She opened the cabinet we keep chemicals in the other day!
(It's locked up now)

Tricia - I have very hard/rusty/well water right now, so haven't had fish for years. I may consider it again once I move.....I think a small-ish tank could be do-able.

Kody'sMom - I wasn't sure what you were talking about, so I googled it. Do you mean something like this?

ETA: She was VERY proud of herself a few days ago, she found her own 'toy'. She's stealing apples, tomatoes, anything round out of bowls off the counters. She has walked past that bowl on the counter for over a year, but now it has dawned on her that it contains "cat toys".

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's them....I heard about them on one of the bengal's lists. For $5.99 it is really amazing, my cats both love it. I am going to have to get one of the glow ones--they weren't out last Christmas I don't think anyway.

Anne