Life is a roller coaster and I hate roller coasters!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I last posted about my husband in the beginning of February, he has been in the hospital 2 more times. Right now he is in the ICU, but improving. He has almost died twice recently. This last time I believe was from being over medicated for pain. Because of all the stress and lack of sleep, my afib has been bothering me. I am usually only sleeping 4 hours a night.

My cat, Jack is now on 2 anti seizure medicines. The seizures just started out of the blue- no illness or injury. I have another, Tabitha, that we are waiting on biopsy results for.

For as one good news, my adventurer son, Nate has just finished training to do search and rescue. He loved it. I think eventually he will go ahead for search and rescue EMT, which is a lot more involved than what he has done now.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for everything you're going through right now. I hope everything gets back down to a dull roar and that your husband gets better. This is so hard on you. I hope Jack calms down; seizures can be very scary. Good luck with Tabitha.

That is good news about your son.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs aww im so sorry to hear about your husband having a rough time and hope that he continues to recover and thats great to hear about your son .. what does he really want to do ?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. We were through thru the cycle of in the hospital, then rehab, then home, then back in the hospital so many times with mom. It is just beyond exhausting, for both of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs aww im so sorry to hear about your husband having a rough time and hope that he continues to recover and thats great to hear about your son .. what does he really want to do ?
I think he wants to become a S&R EMT. That will take a few years.

I am so sorry. We were through thru the cycle of in the hospital, then rehab, then home, then back in the hospital so many times with mom. It is just beyond exhausting, for both of you.
It has been like he is a yo-yo - in and out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear the news about your husband as well as Jack and Tabitha. I'm also sorry the stress has triggered your AFIB. 🤗 However, I'm very happy to hear about Nate finishing his training for S&R. I hope he becomes licensed as an EMT too. You have a lot going on in your life so please take care of yourself and keep us updated on your husband's progress.:vibes::vibes:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ We are always stronger than we think. I hope there is home health-care assistance for you if needed. Do not neglect your own health.
Best wishes ... 👍✨️
1666962712781.png

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: How are things going? Is Jack doing well on his antiseizure meds? Any results on Tabitha yet?
I hope and pray that your hubby is stable and on the way to restored health. Being the spouse/parent of a hospitalized patient is a real challenge because the duties of emotionally supporting the patient plus monitoring the medical team are 24/7 jobs. Yet I know that you do those duties gladly - what a trooper you are! I read your silver Persian/silver anniversary story on your website and that is one of the most romantic stories EVER!
It is no surprise to me that your son, according to my traditions, is pursuing the healing arts, considering his awesome parentage. My father also was in S&R and I have done my EMT training. I look forward to updates on his journey in becoming a S&R EMT.
Sending you hugs and lots & lots of TCS Family encouragement :heartshape::grouphug::cheerleader::petcat::soldier::vibes::vibes::redheartpump:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the vet added Kepra Jack hasn’t had any seizures. I got Tabithas results today. The lump isn’t malignant, but the vet is strongly suggesting surgery. I am unsure about doing that because of her age. I also have to work out the cost. My husband was sent to a rehab center today so he has improved. Considering the doctor led me to believe he may not make it just a few days ago I think it is a miracle.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs is that anti seizure medicine expensive? my cat lily rose has seizures and my mom doesnt have a way to get her checked out at the vet and if it works maybe it would work on my baby girl too ... she is 16 years old and has the seizures on and off since she was 2 years old

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phenobarbital is around $37-38 a month. Kepra is $69 a month. Kepra is a human medicine so I get it filled at the regular pharmacy. I have found it cheaper than where I got it filled this time so will be switching.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs im not sure that they can get it for my cat ... shes on a very tight and fixed income :confused2::sigh:
Don't forget to try using Good Rx for pets. Sometimes ScriptSave/Well Rx offers a better deal - it can switch back and forth, depending on the day and the medicine. Also, if your pharmacy techs are not too busy, they may have another cash discount card that can be applied. They can run the prescription through and if the cost is too high, ask them to put it on hold and you can keep searching/saving up.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Back to posiepurrs posiepurrs thread. I'm curious, if Tabitha's lump is malignant and the vet knows she is up in age why is he strongly suggesting surgery? Does the benefit outweigh the risk? It's always difficult to make a decision like this when, as you said, she is an older cat. Glad to hear your husband was sent to rehab. 🤗 Did they mention a time frame when he could come home?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tabithas lump is not malignant, but there is a possibility of it becoming malignant in the future from what the vet said. My husband wants me to go ahead with the surgery. If the lump did not look angry and sore, I wouldn’t even be considering surgery.
No time frame for him to come home yet. He lost a lot of strength while hospitalized, partly due to being stoned out of this world and not moving for 3 days from medications(morphine). He managed to stand with 2 therapists help today for a few seconds, when before going to the hospital he was walking with his walker about 49-50 feet at a time.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Tabithas lump is not malignant
Sorry, I didn't proof read my post and meant to say not malignant. I forgot to ask how old Tabitha is but if there's a possibility of it becoming malignant in the future could you hold off awhile and decide about surgery later? Since she is a Persian are you concerned about anesthesia due to possible breathing difficulties? Regarding your husband that's encouraging news that he managed to stand up with the help of two therapists. It sounds like he's moving in the right direction. 👍