Licking

lunatuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Luna has been licking her belly and has given herself a large bald spot.  We thought it was allergies and she got a steroid shot but she continues to do it and it's getting worse.  It just dawned on me the other day that she could be doing it because of stress.  We now have a 3.5 month-old baby which has been an adjustment for everyone.  What is there to do for stress?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it is stress related, something like Feliway's pheromone diffuser and Bach's Rescue Remedy may help.

It could still be allergies. Steroid shots only suppress the symptoms for a while. Unless the underlying cause is addressed, the symptoms will usually come back.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It most likely is one of two issues. Stress and/or allergies. I agree that trying the Feliway is good advice. Also, there are holistic remedies from Jackson Galaxy and have excellent reviews: http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/ IF it is a food or environmental allergy then the steroid will only work for a short period and not solve the underlying cause. It may very well be stress due to the addition of the new baby (and Congratulations :baby: ;))

Also, have you changed anything in the diet at all? Is Luna on the exact same food as before the baby and not have this licking issue? If the diet has not been changed at all then I am thinking this is stress related. Over-grooming is one of the most common stress related behaviors. If all else fails to help, you can call your vet and see about a medication - something mild - to help her through this adjustment period with the new baby. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited: