Licking pictures

sheffie5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! my Smokey is fascinated with licking picture! I have to go around & hide them or turn them upside so she can't get to them.What is up with this? I know she's nuts,but there are times when we fight over pictures-I hide them, she finds them! Can someone explain this please!!!

cheryl

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who does this too. She has very strange tastes all around. She'll totally snub foods that most cats go nuts over (like tuna, sliced turkey, chicken or roast beef) but she'll lick the most bizarre items:

1) Photographs;
2) The little address stickers on magazine covers;
3) Fabric softener sheets from the dryer;
4) Certain types of plastic bags.

Who knows? Some things about cats just aren't meant to be understood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheffie5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Smokey too-no meat or tuna anything like that, but when it comes to ice cream or cereal--she bgs worse than the dog! I know cats can be strange, but she just is all around NOT RIGHT!!!

kittykatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a cat who i like to call a 'bag licker' he loves plastic bags. i have no idea why..maybe i should ask the vet. but i one of my friend's cats also likes to lick pictures. i mean it's not as bad as your kitty but she does lick them. i believe a cat's smell is 1000 times better than ours so maybe she smells something really good in the pictures...either that or she just wants to give kisses to everyone.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Tedy likes to lick the window glass...but only just after i`ve washed them! Think maybe it`s something in the Windex?
He`s a bit odd in that he also will empty the wastebasket for a bandaid or a used Q-tip...he can smell them a mile away!
Linda

kittygonewild

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my kitties are bag lickers. Though, Fraggle has taken it a bit further. We've an ongoing debate over the validity and necessity of plastic in a kitty's diet. She's convinced she must eat them. I run around the house making sure there isn't any type of plastic bag within reach of her little pink mouth.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat was a freak for licking pictures. Just like you, I had to hide them, or she would dig them out. It was explained to me that some cats are drawn to one of the chemicals used in picture processing (called Fixer). It sounds like you do try to keep pictures out of Smokey's reach. This is a good idea, as any chemical over a long period of time cannot be good for her...not to mention it makes for soggy, sticky, ruined photos!

Anyway, that's why she does it.

My guess would be that's a similar reason why the other kitties lick seemingly odd things...stamps, band-aids, etc, there is something in the adhesive glue they use that attracts the cat. Plastic bags? I'm not sure why they would like those, except perhaps there is something they treat them with? Of that, I'm not sure.

sylvanis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys

My cat Java , also loves to to lick plastic grocery bags! Everytime I come home with a new one he goes after it, and the burries his face into it and licks and needs it ....actualy I have a couple pictures of him enjoying this favourite activity of his...

if I can just figure out how to make my avatar work...

-Angela

Last edited by a moderator:

cass!e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cats love plastic bags too... i thought they were just wierd, but apparently this is common behavior... as for photo licking, i decided to preform a little experiment and i put several photos on the floor in reach of my kitties, and they were definently interested. spike (one year) licked at a few but really just sniffed them and sparky (six months) sniffed at the most recently developed ones... so maybe it's one of the chemicals that they use in developing... but the love stickers and the security tape off of new dvd's so maybe they're just really into the adhesive...