Licking me at night

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has tips on my little guy's nighttime behavior. Neptune is (I guess) just at the five month mark. He is neutered. At night he incessantly licks my face and ears and kneads uncontrollably. He is fed before we go to bed.

He doesn't do this when I lay on the couch or at any other time. I've tried moving him, saying no, clapping my hands...it's like he can't stop. I have NOT tried a squirt bottle. I've been locking him out at night which doesn't solve the problem. Any ideas? I know I could try a squirt bottle but I keep thinking I can train him by moving him away and he just comes back.

I know with him being so sick since we've got him I've spoiled him with attention and I may have created a monster...I know he was picked up by the shelter as a stray around 12 weeks (they guess) so I'm not sure what his mom situation was.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squirt bottle won’t work except to create a different behavior problem. Mine likes to knead and lick still at 15 years. It’s something he’s not likely to grow out of if he hasn’t yet. But you can try to redirect it. Krista loves to knead and lick at the blankets. Maybe one of those soft velour type blankets will be a satisfactory mama cat substitute. Sleep with one near you and when he starts on you, gently move him to his mama cat blanket.

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has tips on my little guy's nighttime behavior. Neptune is (I guess) just at the five month mark. He is neutered. At night he incessantly licks my face and ears and kneads uncontrollably. He is fed before we go to bed.

He doesn't do this when I lay on the couch or at any other time. I've tried moving him, saying no, clapping my hands...it's like he can't stop. I have NOT tried a squirt bottle. I've been locking him out at night which doesn't solve the problem. Any ideas? I know I could try a squirt bottle but I keep thinking I can train him by moving him away and he just comes back.

I know with him being so sick since we've got him I've spoiled him with attention and I may have created a monster...I know he was picked up by the shelter as a stray around 12 weeks (they guess) so I'm not sure what his mom situation was.
hey thats not a big deal i personally love kitty licks
she might be telling you you need a bath or your greasy
cats only do that to humans they love, it might hurt their feelings if you took steps to stop her from lovingly trying to clean you.
my baby Taz will periodically come over to lick my hand n arm up then walk off :)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's young enough that a Mama hug might work. Get him away from your face and hold him close. Gentle but firm enough that he can't move. When a mama cat has had enough they hold the kitten down and lick them until they fall asleep. At 5 mt he might be too hyper for this. A big meal and play session just before bed will also help.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He loves you and wants to tell you how much. I wouldn't discourage him, but I know it's annoying. When Mingo was a kitten, he would also chew on my hair, which definitely kept me awake. I started wearing a hoodie to bed and drawing it up close, and he lost interest. You might try that, too. Pull it all the way closed with just your nose out to get air.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's young enough that a Mama hug might work. Get him away from your face and hold him close. Gentle but firm enough that he can't move. When a mama cat has had enough they hold the kitten down and lick them until they fall asleep. At 5 mt he might be too hyper for this. A big meal and play session just before bed will also help.
I tried this last night and it helped! Just got him away from my face and hugged and he liked it.