Licking Licking Licking

jvmay1703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was on this site last year looking for info but my cat just stopped with the licking. He's back at it again. Constantly licking almost some places raw. No fleas or anything like that. What should I do to get him to stop? He will lick when he's sleepy too and go to sleep and then wake back up and start licking. It's very annoying but I don't want something to be wrong and me not address it. Thanks!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess stress or allergies. Either way he needs to see a vet. I was surprised when the vet said my cat had pulled out his belly hair from over grooming (he has allergies. I thought he was just getting fatter so I was seeing more pink showing through.) Does your cat vomit a lot? Is he scratching himself a lot? If so it might be allergies.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once cleared medically, it might be back boredom. Try redirecting with play. Imagine how many humans would lick ourselves if we could?!?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jvmay1703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I think boredom is it!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he doesn’t have one, try a Yeoww banana catnip toy. Not only will it help calm him but some cats spend hours licking and chewing on them to get the catnip.

jvmay1703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he doesn’t have one, try a Yeoww banana catnip toy. Not only will it help calm him but some cats spend hours licking and chewing on them to get the catnip.
Thank you for the suggestion. He's never had catnip so I'm a bit scared. Here lately after eating he goes crazy (after eating fancy feast tubs or broth). Not sure what's in those things. Anyway. He goes nuts and runs around for about ten minutes before finally passing out! I may try the catnip banana though. Looks like it would keep his mind on that instead of licking! Thx!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just give my guys a pinch full of fresh catnip on their beds every week or so. I got tired of refilling those stuffed catnip toys ;) Some cats it makes them more playful, it calms my cats down a bit. It makes my punk more sociable. I think of it like beer is for humans. Why not buy him one cheap catnip toy & see how he reacts?

sylviatabitha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was on this site last year looking for info but my cat just stopped with the licking. He's back at it again. Constantly licking almost some places raw. No fleas or anything like that. What should I do to get him to stop? He will lick when he's sleepy too and go to sleep and then wake back up and start licking. It's very annoying but I don't want something to be wrong and me not address it. Thanks!
My cat Sylvia still overgrooms a bit. She is a bit stressed as cats in the neighborhood pick on her now that she is older. She used to pick on cats when she was younger. Feliway works for her. Get feliway off Amazon, much cheaper than the vet. Play with your cat, make sure the cat has a few different toys, bits of paper, cat mice, cat teasers. Plastic pegs are good, they chase them. Good luck.

sylviatabitha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Sylvia still overgrooms a bit. She is a bit stressed as cats in the neighborhood pick on her now that she is older. She used to pick on cats when she was younger. Feliway works for her. Get feliway off Amazon, much cheaper than the vet. Play with your cat, make sure the cat has a few different toys, bits of paper, cat mice, cat teasers. Plastic pegs are good, they chase them. Good luck.
Try a thundershirt. That also helps and they offer a money back guarantee if it doesn't. Do all this before taking your cat to the vet. Only do anti depressants as a last resort.

jvmay1703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try a few of those. Unfortunately in the past he has not been interested in any toys other than a shoestring that he chases around the house.