Licking/chewing Plastic And/or Eating Spider Webs

bearNrocko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone experienced these symptoms in their cat or have any ideas on what I could do? Mainly what I am worried about is when I do not have food on my cat's (Rusty) plate, he looks for plastic to lick/ chew on, and/or spider webs to eat. I know it's related to the food because when I give him food he stops doing it.

I noticed these same behaviors from my cat, Rocko, who passed away from severe colon cancer 6 years ago. These are just observation btw. I will be taking Rusty to the vet in the next 2 months. It's just I can't help but see some kind of correlation in maybe digestive issues? If I remember correctly this behavior was an ongoing thing throughout Rocko's life though. Thanks for any replies!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you provide more food he should be eating to stop him from looking elsewhere for things to eat?

Is he underweight? Overweight? If he's chubby try exercising him more rather than restricting his food.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Armani licks and chews plastic and I’ve had other cats act that way. So unless it’s a new behavior, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m assuming, of course, that Rusty is not losing weight. If he is, you may need to feed him more or visit a vet to find out why he isn’t gaining. Here’s a calorie requirement calculator for cats.

I have no idea about the spider webs, but if he’s a former stray, he may not yet have figured out that there will always be more food coming and is trying to find calories wherever he can.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take your cat to the vet sooner than 2 months from now?

Are you feeding enough food? Cats who don't get enough calories daily will seek out food to eat, even non edible things.