Licking and skittish?

linkycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since I got my cat in December last year, he's always been a bit skittish, for example if he is sleeping and he hears foot steps come to the room he will freak out and run to the door. I don't know if this is common in cats. And also he loves to lick me, any part of my body exposed he will lick away! Is that normal? And my cat sometimes goes under the bed for no reason and will refuse to go out for a while. Is something wrong?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IT seems that loud noises and/or vibrations scare your kitty.  He has found that hiding under the bed is a safe place.  Many cats when they are afraid choose to hide under the bed. 

I would work on boosting his confidence.  Try the technique of Hunt, Catch, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep.  You really want to get the cat moving.  Use a da bird or other wand toy or a laser pointer.  Try to get the cat to play for 5-10-15 minutes.  You want the cat tired.  He can hunt, catch and kill the toy.  Next offer a small meal or extra special snack to satisfy the "Eat".  Cats need a reward after they have hunted.  Try to make it something special not just regular food or a plain treat.  Try plain cooked chicken, canned tuna or salmon.  Just a bit.  Next if the cat is tired out and had a snack, he/she will groom and then take a nap.  You can try this technique a few times each day.

As far as licking, cats often will lick their owners as a sign of affection.  They sometimes also like the way you taste.  I think it's fine as long as it's not obsessive.  One of my cats likes to lick our hair.  It's almost as though he's grooming us!