Lickable cat treats recommendations

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully I’m posting this in the right place. But I am looking for some lickable cat treats options. I usually give my boys Temptations lickables but right now all I can find is Salmon flavored. I am not comfortable giving them any fish flavor right now especially Scooter. I want to use the lickable treats to occasionally put on their dry food. To give them a tasty treat with their kibble instead of just water on the kibble. I hear Churu is a good treat which they will probably love that. But does anyone have any recommendations for lickable treats that I can add to my cats kibble?

Note: My boys eat Purina Pro Plan Urinary Wet food & Purina One+ Urinary Dry food so it can’t interfere with that. The treat is not an everyday thing just once a week maybe twice. Cause I feel bad I had to switch their food even though Scooter was the one with the UTI(it’s just easier and cheaper to feed them the same thing). So I don’t want to take away their treats at all. Plus I like to give my boys variety. Also it has to have more than fish flavors as I stated I don’t feel comfortable giving them anything fish flavored.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got those to give to Fred I think I can’t remember why now, but Merlin loves them. I get the ones from Walmart which are the cheapest. They have the exact same ingredients as the more expensive ones for the most part as the Churu… when I gave Merlin Churu he got diarrhea from it so I don’t give that to my cats anymore. I think Fred got diarrhea from it too. Those are 4 for $1.84. It says they’re good for hydration and they have some vitamins maybe too. So it’s good for a cat having digestive troubles or who is dehydrated etc.

They have salmon and chicken flavor- today I got chicken flavor and they were a little bit perplexed.

My cats are weird. What can I say? They are scared to eat from it when I’m holding it in my hand. Merlin is usually quite happy with it and then he gets scared, and he was wondering why it didn’t taste like salmon… so sometimes I just squeeze it on the plate and let them eat it that way.
The brand name is Pure Balance grain free Gourmet cat treats. See pic…
IMG_5855.jpeg
IMG_5856.jpeg

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to Churu, Feeby seems to like Tiki Cat Stix, Temptations Puree, Delectable Squeeze Ups, Vitakraft Lick n Lap, Catit Creamy, Fussie Cat Puree, and Applaws Puree - all chicken based as she hates fish. Many of them do have some sort of fish flavoring added to them, but it is not the primary ingredient, and isn't like giving a treat that is mainly fish.

I want to add even more to her repertoire as she definitely needs variety. So, I will be keeping my eye on this thread for other recommendations!

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you looking for fish and seafood free ones?

Applepaws chicken ones are fish free.

Churu do have scallops in them. I believe Catit has fish oils. The temptations ones are fish free I believe but a different texture and my cats did not enjoy.
Tiki cat has fish extract as well.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Check the ingredients. A lot of the chicken flavors in other brands will have some sort of fish product in it. I can't give those to one of my cats.

Temptations does have a "cheese" flavor, but neither of my girls will touch it. Check some online sources for it, if you can't get it locally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you looking for fish and seafood free ones?
Yes definitely looking for fish & seafood free ones. Even though the treats are not an everyday thing I am still not comfortable giving Scooter and Casper anything seafood right now especially Scooter cause of him having a UTI in September. I know it may be safe every now then as a treat but I am going to use lickable treats as a kibble topper. Plus right now don’t feel comfortable enough to give them seafood.

As for apple paws I don’t think that can be found in WV. I have to go to Petco at the end of the week for Purina Pro Plan urinary wet food I will check the kitty treats section.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got those to give to Fred I think I can’t remember why now, but Merlin loves them. I get the ones from Walmart which are the cheapest. They have the exact same ingredients as the more expensive ones for the most part as the Churu… when I gave Merlin Churu he got diarrhea from it so I don’t give that to my cats anymore. I think Fred got diarrhea from it too. Those are 4 for $1.84. It says they’re good for hydration and they have some vitamins maybe too. So it’s good for a cat having digestive troubles or who is dehydrated etc.

They have salmon and chicken flavor- today I got chicken flavor and they were a little bit perplexed.

My cats are weird. What can I say? They are scared to eat from it when I’m holding it in my hand. Merlin is usually quite happy with it and then he gets scared, and he was wondering why it didn’t taste like salmon… so sometimes I just squeeze it on the plate and let them eat it that way.
The brand name is Pure Balance grain free Gourmet cat treats. See pic…View attachment 464999View attachment 465000
I have seen the Pure Balance treats they appear to look good. The only thing that concerns me is the Ash being 3.0%. From my research cats who had UTI need Ash content lower than 3.0% so that is a concern for me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know the cause behind the UTIs? Crystals, bladder inflammation, or?

Long story as short as I can make it, my cat had frequent UTIs, and did have some oxalate stone issues long ago. She was on urinary care food for nearly 10 years, and then stopped eating them altogether. That was at least 5 years ago. She is on wet food only, mainly no fish, but eats the treats you are concerned about. I also put her on pure D-Mannose to help keep her bladder clear from bacteria, about 3 years ago - knock on wood, only 1 UTI since then.

So, some of what you are concerned about is probably dependent on the history behind the UTIs.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know the cause behind the UTIs? Crystals, bladder inflammation, or?

Long story as short as I can make it, my cat had frequent UTIs, and did have some oxalate stone issues long ago. She was on urinary care food for nearly 10 years, and then stopped eating them altogether. That was at least 5 years ago. She is on wet food only, mainly no fish, but eats the treats you are concerned about. I also put her on pure D-Mannose to help keep her bladder clear from bacteria, about 3 years ago - knock on wood, only 1 UTI since then.

So, some of what you are concerned about is probably dependent on the history behind the UTIs.
September was the first ever UTI Scooter ever had. In 3 months since he hasn’t had any(knock on wood) I think it was Bacterial UTI as the paperwork I got from the ER vet said Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease - Bacteria in Urine. The ER vet said she could not see much cause his bladder was full of blood. She suspected a stone but couldn’t tell cause of the blood. She was telling us while he wasn’t blocked he could have blocked and that required surgery etc. She did a test to see if his kidney was functioning properly which they were. There must of not been crystals or anything cause when I picked him up the next day she only talked about bacteria in his urine. He got medication and the prescription food. His check up they said nothing about crystals or stones that he was responding well. He stayed on the prescription(which was Hill’s as he refused Royal Canin)food for a month before I went to Purina Pro Plan Urinary wet & Purina One+ Urinary dry. Which he is doing well on them I think Hill’s was making him sick cause he would throw up a lot. With Purina he hasn’t thrown up at all except for a hairball every now and then. I’m just being very cautious right now to make sure that he doesn’t ever have another one. Even before the UTI with Scooter I didn’t want to give Scooter & Casper any seafood cause it didn’t agree with them sometimes. But I just want to be cautious for now.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always buy some raw chicken brest or ground beef and mix it up in the blender or with a magic bullet. After cooking it of course. This is really the only way to be sure there is no seafood or gums or other questionable ingredients.

You could even freeze the slurry to make "popcicals" for them if you wanted.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could always buy some raw chicken brest or ground beef and mix it up in the blender or with a magic bullet. After cooking it of course. This is really the only way to be sure there is no seafood or gums or other questionable ingredients.

You could even freeze the slurry to make "popcicals" for them if you wanted.
Oddly enough Scooter will not eat cooked beef. He will eat chicken or turkey which when I have either one the furbabies always get some. When I do chicken I always leave one piece unseasoned for Casper, Scooter & Nera my dog.

I did find this to try

IMG_2920.jpeg
IMG_2921.jpeg

yeah it has 2 gums in it which was the only one I felt ok about besides the kitty temptations. I also did find this..
IMG_2908.jpeg

IMG_2909.jpeg

Since it’s basically bone broth for cats when they are out of treats I will get them some of this to add to their kibble.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That top one has gums in it. Could be an issue if your cats have ibd or digestive issues but i'm not exacly sure if gums can contribute to uti or not

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That top one has gums in it. Could be an issue if your cats have ibd or digestive issues but i'm not exacly sure if gums can contribute to uti or not
Neither one of my boys have IBD or Digestive issues. I don’t think it bothers cats that had a UTI I couldn’t find anything about it when I did my research. But the treats is not an everyday thing just an every now & then thing.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen the Pure Balance treats they appear to look good. The only thing that concerns me is the Ash being 3.0%. From my research cats who had UTI need Ash content lower than 3.0% so that is a concern for me.
Oh, my cats don’t have UTI issues as far as I know anyway, knock on wood. I guess if yours has them you could try another one. I didn’t even look at that tbh. That was the type of thing I was always looking at when my past cats had kidney disease.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Neither one of my boys have IBD or Digestive issues. I don’t think it bothers cats that had a UTI I couldn’t find anything about it when I did my research. But the treats is not an everyday thing just an every now & then thing.
I've never had a cat have issues with gums. It feels less rare because we are on a site where people come when they have trouble figuring out digestive issues, but it's rare that cats have trouble with them.

I've never seen research about gums bothering FLUTD. The tube treats are real game changers for urinary issues because they have so much water in them, unlike freeze dried or crunchy treats.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had a cat have issues with gums. It feels less rare because we are on a site where people come when they have trouble figuring out digestive issues, but it's rare that cats have trouble with them.

I've never seen research about gums bothering FLUTD. The tube treats are real game changers for urinary issues because they have so much water in them, unlike freeze dried or crunchy treats.
Yeah I don’t think cats have problems with gums cause all of the urinary food has gums in it. I think all cat and dog food at least wet food it’s a type of fiber that is beneficial to cats. The tube treats are definitely a game changer I noticed most had very high percentage of moisture which you want for kitties to keep them hydrated. I may get the beyond mixture chicken broth that I posted here. It’s 100% moisture I may get it to add to their kibble. I do have to go to Petco at the end of the week for more Purina Pro Plan Urinary wet food I will see what Petco has before I fully commit to buying one from Walmart. Cause Petco would have more options than Walmart.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah I don’t think cats have problems with gums cause all of the urinary food has gums in it. I think all cat and dog food at least wet food it’s a type of fiber that is beneficial to cats. The tube treats are definitely a game changer I noticed most had very high percentage of moisture which you want for kitties to keep them hydrated. I may get the beyond mixture chicken broth that I posted here. It’s 100% moisture I may get it to add to their kibble. I do have to go to Petco at the end of the week for more Purina Pro Plan Urinary wet food I will see what Petco has before I fully commit to buying one from Walmart. Cause Petco would have more options than Walmart.
Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

Our boys eat the beyond duck and sweet potato, so I'd be happy to try some Beyond treats. I can get those at my grocery store here in Canada.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

Our boys eat the beyond duck and sweet potato, so I'd be happy to try some Beyond treats. I can get those at my grocery store here in Canada.
I don’t think I seen any duck flavor for that I may have to see if Petco has it. Sadly the Walmart here in WV or at least in my town are not good with different flavors for cat treats. I did see one that had pumpkin but it also had salmon in it too. So I will pass on that one as I’m not comfortable giving them anything seafood right now. They still have 1 tube of kitty temptations left I will be trying the fancy feast soon see how it goes. I will definitely update everyone!