Letting indoor cats out on patio

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I go in and out a lot, and it seems like my cat wants to go out and explore a bit. I have an enclosed small patio area. My concern is that he may get ticks and fleas. Does anyone else let their indoor cat out for a bit, or is this a bad idea?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Literally what I call FOREVER (try 39 years), I have had a screened in patio that my 3 cats (one at a time) have accessed - and until 2-3 years ago, I had no issues. None of them were on flea treatments. Then, all of a sudden, Feeby got fleas and we can't get rid of them even with flea treatments for her, the house, and the yard. I will admit at her age, I go with the most 'harmless' flea topical treatments that I can, and they may no longer work in my area. We do not have a tick issue (thankfully) so she has not been treated specifically for them.

So, my advice, depending on where you live (ask your vet about what is best for your area), treat your cat with some sort of flea treatment and see what happens. Since you said you already go in and out a lot, which means you could be bringing in fleas on your person, the odds are in your favor!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go in and out a lot, and it seems like my cat wants to go out and explore a bit. I have an enclosed small patio area. My concern is that he may get ticks and fleas. Does anyone else let their indoor cat out for a bit, or is this a bad idea?
Last summer I purchased a Catio with attachable tube. The Catio is essentially a mesh. I had it on my raised deck. Both of my indoors boys weren't so sure of what to make of the tent . I only allowed them outside under supervision.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The worst flea infestation I ever had in my house was during a short time that I did not have any animals at all. Fleas, and even ticks, are bitty opportunists, and will hitchhike in on pants legs, socks, shoes...anything, really. So, treat your cats regularly for parasites, and let them enjoy the patio, with proper supervision.