Letting Go Of Blu

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody. I need some advice. In June last year i had rescued 2 cats. Lozzy (a five year old male who kept coming to me with bite wounds and skin problems) and Blu (a month old kitty that was abandoned). So i took them in and i kept them in my room ( i dont cage my rescues). Lozzy and Blu became quite close. Blu was quite popular when i put her up for adoption. I think i may have had close to 30 inquiries. however i was quite stubborn about finding them a home together. I turned down a lot of good families and finally in august last year i found a home for them together. Unfortunately the adoption was unsuccessful so i had to take them back. They have been with me since. I have decided to keep Lozzy only because no one seems to want an older beaten up cat. Blu was still up for adoption and recently i have had a few inquiries.

My dilemma now is if i should let Blu go. With Blu gone Lozzy will be alone in the room most part of the day until i come home at night (usually late because of work). Im just concerned about Lozzy. Even though im keeping Lozzy, i cant let him loose in my house. Reason being (i) bad allergies in the family (ii) Lozzy may run out (our doors are usually open all day) (iii) my 5 year old resident cat (Lily) doesn't get along with other cats (yet).

I have thought about getting Lozzy and Lily acquainted and maybe she will get along. but that will definitely take time and even then it would be limited to my room and only at nights. I am actively looking for a place of my own but that again would take atleast another year.

Should I keep Blu and deny her a family? Im torn up thinking about Lozzy alone all day waiting for me (although he does spend most of the time sleeping as compared to Blu who is more active and playful). Am i just being selfish for my own reasons because i cant part with her? Or are my concerns real?

Appreciate any advice.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would continue to try to find a home for the two together. The two belong together and Lozzy needs more space than you can provide.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Have you been able to deal with or clear up the skin problems? These days five years old isn't that old but I realize people's perceptions are still that it is.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Another thought, you said in a year or so you're getting your own place? Just a thought, but I'll bet Lozzy wouldn't mind waiting that long. EDIT; I guess the question is from each cats perspective, Blu then Lozzy, how close is closely attached?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know how big your room is or if you let Lozzy out at all. I wouldn't want a kitty being closed up in a room forever. I'm sorry.
I ALWAYS adopt older cats simply because I know they are the hardest to find homes. A five year old cat is ideal for a lot of people for many reasons. Not everyone wants a kitten. If you could get them adopted together that would be fantastic. Best of luck to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To address some of the questions. Initially when blu was very young, Lozzy and blu were extremely close. Curling up together to sleep etc. But in between I rescued another kitten,Potter. He was a darling and both Lozzy and blu became quite friendly with him. Potter was recently adopted (the person wanted only one kitten so had to let potter go). But since potter appeared Lozzy and blu kind off grew apart. They do still groom each other now and then but they are not extremely close these days.

Lozzy skin problems have cleared. He was tested positive for fiv but I'm not sure if that was probably because of the vaccine I had given him before when he was still roaming outdoor. He is now very handsome and a bit overweight cat. I am trying to make him lose weight

If blu goes I plan to bring Lozzy out at nights only and rotate with Lily. So Lily and lozzy can roam the house at nights.

My room is close to 300 sq ft so both have some space to run around. I also have a large window overlooking a sort of busy road which keeps Lozzy somewhat entertained part of the day. It is not ideal but I'm trying to deal with the situation as best as I can. When I feel guilty I convince myself he is safer in my room.

Letting blu go would probably be the most selfless decision. I can't be 100% sure of the new family. But should i deny her a family again because of Lozzy or because my heart breaks to let her go. I just want to do what's best for her at the end I suppose.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Appreciate it. I have attached a pic of Lozzy I think abt a mth after he moved into my room. And a pic of blu and Lozzy.

Attachments