Let's Talk About Puberty And Litterboxes

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Backstory: 3 weeks ago I rescued a feral kitten about 4 months old. he was in pretty bad shape with all the worms and parasites. Day 3 of his stay at our home we took him to the vet because he wouldn't pee or poo in the litterbox. Turns out, he kept holding it because he didn't know he was supposed to go in the litterbox, he was looking for some dirt or mulch.

Nowstory: Last week we had bought these cute PVC type boxes/tube for him to play in. We'd let our designated welcome kitty into that room to play with him and life is great. He finally got the medical clearance to start integrating him into the pack. So the past two days we've been letting him out to meet the rest of the family. And he loves everyone he meets (even out grumpy jerk face). He spends his whole time running around like he's on fire and just having the time of his life. I put him back in the safe room for bed and he PEES in the PVC box first night. I throw that one away. Today...same thing. I put him back in the room, and then CHECK 5 minuted later, and there's pee in the last box. Not marking pee, but like full on full bladder pee. Keep in mind his litter box is about 2 feet from where he is currently trying to go.

I've never dealt with an unneutered male at this age. He hasn't been neutered because he was too sick for that right away, and we have his appt for the big snip on the 15th. Do you think this could be a territorial thing? Is this a puberty thing (Is he even at that age now? - his balls says yes). Could he be thinking these boxes were new fangled litterbox/toy combos? And most importantly will this stop after the snip??? He was going to be a foster fail, but I'm not so sure now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Could he be thinking these boxes were new fangled litterbox/toy combos?
I think this, he's simply unclear but bless his little heart he's really trying. Try filling a litterbox with some unfertilized potting soil, and take up the confusing PVC items until he's fully acquainted with the litterbox.

Then reintroduce the PVC very slowly, first just one. If it still confuses him, don't use them, and please don't reconsider keeping him. He's so happy, and you will have a wonderful cat with just a little adjusting to help him out :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few cats who will pee in empty boxes. Prefer them actually. I made a "urinal" with 2 totes, holes drilled in the bottom of the top box, and a puppy pad in between them (if that makes any sense, lol). I don't know why, cats are weird.

He's not quite old enough to be marking territory, I think he's just confused.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although exceptionally precocious males sometimes sire litters as early as 5 months of age, even the most precocious males don't normally start spraying until they are quite a bit older. It sounds to me as though he is still unclear on the litter box concept.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn't know how to be an indoor cat. Put some mulch in the litter box and leave it there until he goes in it consistently. Then mix in a little litter, get him used to that, then add more litter. Slowly switch him over to litter. He will get it quickly. Cats are smarter than people think.