LETS BAN FIREWORKS!

catsandkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 1 cat and 2 kittens, and I don't know about you, but I am bored of fireworks going off and scaring my cats. They run under cupboards, shaking and growling. Fireworks are also dangerous, they ruin wildlife, so sign up below if you agree!!

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fireworks in the USA are already banned in tons of cities. It is up to the particular city here. Regardless, if you want fireworks you drive 2 miles to the next city and get them and use them in your city and the cops are not going to bother you. I like fireworks myself. I do not see them as dangerous. I live in a desert state too and I don't think too many fires can be attributed to them either.

There are many types of fireworks btw. Some are the special ones only used at big events or shows-where the sky looks like flowers-who doesn't love those are put on by licensed pirotechs . These big family events are very safe and fire crews are usually on hand.

Then you have the ones that are sold in the cities that allow fireworks. , I grew up using these fireworks and they are completely harmless with parental supervision or a child using them over say 12. These fireworks include sparklers, picollo petes, snakes and flowers. I have never heard of a child losing a finger or forest getting burnt down from these.

Lastly you have the firecrackers, and M-80s and such that as far as I know are already illegal, at least in my state, and people buy them online or from other countries. These are basically tiny sticks of dynamite and make scary boom sounds. While as a child I did use these I was cautious. I do hear of children and adults losing limbs over these items-but not too many fires and I support their continued illegality.

The fact is once you hear the boom the suspects are gone. These laws are virtually unenforceable. If it is not  an M-80 it would be a car alarm, or gun, or in my case cruise ship horn that will scare your babies. 

I would much rather spend my time creating laws to protect women's or animal rights than banning something most people enjoy.

PS What wildlife are you claiming is damaged from fireworks? 

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Most places I know have a time window of only a few days to allow fireworks.  If someone is shooting fireworks outside of that window, it is a reportable offense. 

Might be a different story in more rural areas, but in that case one would think that a certain distance mitigates the effects.  Still annoying, yes, but shouldn't be *that* much of an issue.  As far as that goes, I'd be more concerned about gunfire during hunting season in very rural areas.

One thing you might think about, is getting a Thundershirt to help your furbabies cope with the noise.  They are useful outside of firework season...  For instance, if you happen to have some construction work going on nearby, or need to take a trip to the vet.  They make them for cats now, as well as dogs. 

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fireworks are a very cultural thing for us, so no, I'd like them to stay. Most municipalities and cities have laws punishing people who light them recklessly, so you should be mad at those people, not the fireworks. We can't ban lightning and thunder either.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Fireworks are a very cultural thing for us, so no, I'd like them to stay. Most municipalities and cities have laws punishing people who light them recklessly, so you should be mad at those people, not the fireworks. We can't ban lightning and thunder either.
Talking about cultural things;  I remember when I lived in Hong Kong where they were illegal for public use (back then.  I have no idea about now).  So my Chinese friends used to go over to Guangzhou and go crazy letting them off over the Pearl River.  I joined in and it was great fun, because everyone was just so into it.. there was a really festive 'vibe' to it.

But in Australia they're illegal and that's fine by me - I'm not at all interested.  It's not part of our tradition and it feels pointless, somehow.

You made a good point about thunder and lightening, FhiCat. And then there's lawn mowers and vacuum cleaners, which drive my cats spare.