Lethargy After Eating, Intestinal Inflammation

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Whew I'm so glad to hear he's feeling better!!

Yeah, my guy won't eat anything if it's been refrigerated, no matter if I leave it till it's room temp, microwave it a little...
I've noticed my boy gets really finicky if he's thrown up...

Hang in there, sound like you're doing great! Good luck with the rotational approach, hopefully he cooperates :)

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only food from the fridge that I can get Krista to eat with any regularity is Rad Cat (and Rawz when I was still feeding her that.) But I have to take the chill out in a hot water bath.

Krista is also moody about food if she's thrown up or tossed a hairball. If I have another food in rotation, I offer that side by side with her old food until she has forgiven the old food. Otherwise, I offer smaller portions for the first two or three meals after being sick. She usually tells me when she's ready to return to normal eating. We've been through this enough that I only worry about her not eating if this extends into a second day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I will try sticking with the turkey since he still reluctantly eat it with the toppers.

I was wondering if there were any better toppers I could use instead of the temptation cat treats. I do have tuna flakes. Would that be better than temptations? He might be a little turned off with anything fish now since the Tiki Cat, but I could try. I also read nutritional yeast? I have loads of that stuff. Either of you have an opinion on that? I’m almost tempted to go buy FortiFlora just as a topper, I heard some cats love it? Although I don’t know what it’s made out of. Any other ideas? I am thinking the temptations might not be the best since it’s loaded with questionable things that could be contributing to his sudden disliking to the food. (Started feeding him them around the same time he started eating less of his food food)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Take a look back at my post #19, there are some things there that might help you. Tuna flakes and nutritional yeast are great ideas.

Fortiflora is a probiotic although some people don't think it's very good at that, but it is made with animal digest, which works well to tempt most cats including mine (most of the time LOL)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try not to go with toppers because then Krista expects toppers. Maybe short term bribe when she’s feeling icky just to get her to give a food a chance.

We prefer the tuna flakes. I like them because they are single ingredient and also it doesn’t take very much. I dust up a few flakes into powder and use that like a seasoning. If she’s feeling icky or holding a grudge against a food, I put a little dusting on top. If she just eats the flakes, that’s it. We can try again another meal. I’m not going to stool her just for a few more bites.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Full disclosure: I’ve tried Krista’s fish flakes and I can see why she loves them. I can’t say the same for any of her other treats. Except the treat tuna. I did try a bite of that. And she’s missing out. There’s better tuna out there. But this is what’s made for her.

(I’ve almost been tempted by Tiki Cat! ;) )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, honestly, he is waiting for temptation treats. Any time there is a rustling of what sounds like treats he comes running so fast and is bright eyed and almost aggressive about it, standing in front of me or beside me so close moving with me. I guess that’s my bad for feeding them to him again in the first place. He is totally waiting it out hoping for treats and kibble. He is also being ultra affectionate, letting us pet his belly purring away. It’s his way of trying to get what he wants. I hope the shenanigans end here soon.

He did not eat the turkey at all with the tuna flakes. He had maybe one bite and knew right away it is food he doesn’t want to eat, but he ate most of the new fancy feast flavor without any topper. (New can) he has only ate slightly more than a 3oz can today, but I guess he will hopefully get hungry enough here to eat more. (I honestly can’t get over him refusing fancy feast??)

Yeah daftcat75 daftcat75 , he is expecting the toppers too. He will eat the turkey for the most part as long as there are a lot of temptations on it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's just spoiled at the moment. Withhold the toppers long enough and he'll forget they ever existed.

Before I knew anything about cats, I used to put out the leftover scrambled egg (what was left over after scrambling the raw eggs and pouring into the pan.) I would let her lick the bowl clean. Whenever she heard the sizzle of egg pouring into pan, she would run over to her food area and wait for the bowl. Since her IBD, I stopped doing that. Now it's been so long she forgot about it or doesn't bother asking for it anymore.