Lethargic, Vomiting, Pain = Cheese?

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Daryl has been sluggish all day, just laying in one spot. He's normally very vocal and hasn't meowed all day. When he vomited white foamy stuff and didn't touch his food, I called my vet. They were closing for the day so I made an appointment for tomorrow morning.

I was really worried and didn't want him to suffer all night, so I took him to the emergency vet early this evening. I don't care for this clinic, but I had to do something. They checked his temp, which was normal. The vet said his belly felt gassy so he took x-rays. He saw nothing abnormal, no blockage or anything. He said it could be gastritis and gave him an injection of Cerenia.

Four hours later, Daryl seems no better. He's just sitting in the meatloaf position like he's in pain. He still hasn't touched his food or used the litterbox. I had some buprenorphine left over from his dental surgery, so I put 0.1 ml in his ear. He's now sleeping.

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of what he could've gotten into. He's an indoor cat. Then I remembered I ate some cheese last night. My dog was begging, so I gave him and Daryl a few pieces. Daryl didn't eat that much of it, maybe one piece about 1/4 inch. The dog ate most of it.

Could cheese cause this type of reaction? He has gotten gassy on milk before, come to think of it. It seems like it would've passed by now though. What can I do? I still have my regular vet appointment tomorrow morning. If he's no better I'm taking him in. I just wish I could ease his discomfort now.

I feel terrible. No more dairy after this!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He could be more lactose intolerant than cats who just get diarrhea or constipation.
Hopefully he feels better soon. The cheese will have to pass. You are taking him to the vet tomorrow so you have done what you can do. I don't have a high opinion of our Veterinary ER either(long story)but your vet should know your cat already and also should know you.
I agree, no more cheese. I have a cat who has a severe reaction to plain milk products. He couldn't even nurse, I had to wean him at almost 4 weeks.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he drinking water? Have you tried syringe feeding him? Did you introduce a new food recently? This sounds a lot like what happened to my boy about a year ago. No obstruction, just lots of gas in his intestines. We finally ended up giving him an enema to get things moving (after about 4 days of nothing). Asked the vet for some Science Diet a/d and he started eating. Try offering him small meals, even plain meat baby food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, both! He's almost back to his old self now but still has not pooped. He won't eat any wet food, but he is eating kibble now, so I sprinkled a little Miralax on it. I'm hoping that'll get things moving. I cancelled the vet appointment for this morning because he was doing better. This wasn't my regular vet, just their Saturday fill-in. He keeps going to the litter box and staring at it. He has urinated, but so far no poop. If he's not pooping by tonight, I'll see about an enema. He's not cooperative with pills, etc. and freaks out if he's restrained at all. I barely got a syringe of liquid in him before he got away. I'll keep trying.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure he has plenty of water.
It sounds like milk allergy to me.
It is probably ok as a minor food ingredient but they get calcium from bone meal too.
I hope he poops soon.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's not eaten much for a couple of days, he won't have anything to poop. When the vet did the x-ray did s/he mention if he had a large amount of stool in him? The only way to get the gas out of the intestines is for them to poop. They don't pass gas like humans do. Until the gas is out of his system, his eating will be reduced because of the "full feeling" produced by the gas.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
happened to Bee before....she like sticky stuff. Keep tape and plasic away from your cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for the advice! I took Daryl to the ER vet again this morning. He hadn't pooped since Thursday, and he hadn't peed for a whole day. Fortunately a different vet was on duty. She was on the ball and has 4 cats of her own. Total difference from the other guy! They kept him almost all day and gave him fluids and 2 enemas. His colon is clear now. He still has a bit of leaky diarrhea and still isn't interested in his wet food. He's eating kibble though. Fingers crossed this has resolved! No more dairy for him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat ate crunchies before he ate wet food after his last episode as well. Feed small meals more often so you don't overwhelm his system. So glad you had a different vet who was more proactive!