Lethargic No Appetite

Ellie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, I found this site when it was too late for my other baby Ellie. I had a very traumatic vet experience and medical treatment and ultimately had to take Ellie to the rainbow brigde. Now my other baby Daphne is ill. I’ve noticed symptoms for about a month. I’ve been hoping it’s been a combination of her grief of losing Ellie as well as the new cat I recently adopted.
Daphne has been extremely lethargic, often staying in the same spot for 8-10 hours. She is not eating and has no desire to eat. I’ve tried all sorts of food wet/dry/treats/tuna in oil. The most she’ll do is lick a bit of he tuna and walk away. I recently noticed diarrhea in the litter box. She responds to touch and when I’m home, which is often, she’s sleeping on me. I sprinkled some cat nip and she responded but not to her usually enthusiasm. I did notice she has some sort of lump on her hind leg (feels like it could be a tumor)
She looks good, not too thin since I’ve been observing. She has good days and bad days which is why I’ve delayed a vet visit, in addition to my recent trauma will Ellie.
I’ve read through several posts and it looks like it can be a number of things. I’m going to take her to the vet tomorrow since it’s been 2 days without eating. I don’t know what to tell the vet, I’m sure they’ll want to do blood work and x-rays... anyone have a similar experience? Any input or ideas?
Much obliged

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, my Dear! I am so sorry that it took me this long to find this thread! How is you baby? What did the vet say?

Aphro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope that she is all right!!! As you said it can be a number of things but you should definitely take her to the vet! I'm sorry to read about your other kitty... Let us know what the vet told you!!! <3

Amarzakwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat Peanut is also having the same problem as your problem. He is now at day 8 without food (except the food that we forced him to take by syringe ; and it is very little amount since he will resist)
He is now very weak, we went to the vet and the vet could not found any abnormalities ( 3 times ). He said, all is in normal condition except for my cat is thinning and lack of water so the doctor gave him IV.

I hope anyone can can help me . I am desperate.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the end stages, if you want to buy more time, its pedialyte which is the trick. With the main content of glucose sugar = dextrose. This doesnt even need to be digested, it goes direclty into blood beginning already in the mouth.
If you make a homemade pedialyte, and dont have dextrose proper, you can use honey.

Goats milk is mild and nourishing, useful for syringefeeding... Raw goats milk has even some extra properties... Too late in the end stages to do much good, though. But still, a mild nourishment worth to buy time.

Amarzakwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi stefanz, thank you for the response.
Actually, in my case im looking to cure him. A little bit information about him. He is around 4 years old, a main coon + persian mix. His symtoms started a week ago when we bring him to a house ( unfurnished ) which we plan to move in next week. When he was in the house, he seems unsettled and thus the hunger strike begin till now..

I brought him to the vet, the doctor could not find anything and the vet said that my cat might be in a stress.

Last night he vomit a bit ( a little grass, and a hair ) he hevent been outside for a week already, so to find grass is a bit of surprise.

Aphro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat Peanut is also having the same problem as your problem. He is now at day 8 without food (except the food that we forced him to take by syringe ; and it is very little amount since he will resist)
He is now very weak, we went to the vet and the vet could not found any abnormalities ( 3 times ). He said, all is in normal condition except for my cat is thinning and lack of water so the doctor gave him IV.

I hope anyone can can help me . I am desperate.
You could also try to boil some chicken and give him the chicken water with a syringe!!! It will keep him from getting dehydrated and is also nutritional!!! With this I managed to save a newborn baby boy that his momma had passed away and he wasn't accepting any kind of cat-milk that I was purchasing from the veterinary!! So the vet told me to try this and it saved him!!! The first weeks he was only drinking this until he wad able to start eating kitten food!! You can also try it among with everything else!!! I hope your baby gets well soon.. If you just moved try making the space cozier with his favourite things and a place that he could hide and feel safe!!!! I'm wishing all the best!!!!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Amarzakwan , this does sound like stress. And I imagine that the unfurnished house feels to him as utter abandonment. If stress is the major issue, try him with chamomile tea. Use the tea bags from the grocery store, brew a cup, chill it, and give him between 1-3 teaspoonsful (Maine Coon, probably 3) up to three times a day via syringe. It is very mild, but it may help. Be sure not to go pick the chamomile yourself, as the English variety is not medicinal much, and IS toxic to cats. What you buy in the coffee/tea aisle is always German, which is fine.

Ellie's Mom Ellie's Mom , still waiting for the report from the vet. I'm concerned...please update!

Amarzakwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Aphro Aphro , Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , thank you for your advices. Last night we managed to force feed him about 25ml of high protein wet food prescribed by the vet.
He started to purr, it makes me happy as he didnt purred for a week already. I hope this purring shows improvement of his conditions.

Still he did not want to eat. When we prepare the wet food to force feed him, he shows a sign want to vomit. Nothing come out obviously as he didnt eat anything..

By the way, thank you for your response,

Cheers

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They do tend to gag a little with force-feeding, so be prepared for some of that, as well. Keep it up! I love that he purred for you, too.

Amarzakwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now at day 12, he still did not self feed.. The purring have been frequent, i saw him stretching, and he grooming him self ( i dont know if he ia grooming or he was cleaning the mess he made during the forced feed session ).
I gave him wet food of many brands, still not eating.. I changed his kibles too..

Anyone know any food that can increase apetite?

Thanks guys..

Aphro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now at day 12, he still did not self feed.. The purring have been frequent, i saw him stretching, and he grooming him self ( i dont know if he ia grooming or he was cleaning the mess he made during the forced feed session ).
I gave him wet food of many brands, still not eating.. I changed his kibles too..

Anyone know any food that can increase apetite?

Thanks guys..
I am happy to hear that he feels better!! I am not sure if you need a prescription for this but I know that Animalstrath increases the apetite! It some kind of vitamins! My vet suggested them for my dog that has some health issues.. But it is both for dogs and cats! Ask your vet about it!!!! I hope this helped!

Amarzakwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aphro Aphro , sure i will ask my vet about Animalstrath.

Thanks a lot..

He started to feed himself. Yay!!.
We bought many kinds of food. Wet food, pallets, cheap one, most expensive we can afford and finally he chose the most cheap one.. and not the healthiest..

I dont care as long as he eat..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ellie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, my Dear! I am so sorry that it took me this long to find this thread! How is you baby? What did the vet say?
Many many apologize! I was on holiday break and went back to work. Daphne seemed to bounce back for a few weeks but it all came back with excessive vomiting, lethargy, and suspected diarrhea. She also had a very picky appetite. Over the course of 3 days she vomited and remember I spoke of my reluctance to taking her to a vet due to most recent experience. I finally took her Sunday morning when she was dry heaving foam. They did a blood panel and tested her for everything including pancreatitis which they called to tell me she tested high levels. Supposedly normal range is no higher than 3 and she’s at an 11. At her initial visit they gave her an injection of an antibiotic, anti nausea and fimodadine. I brought her home and she ate half a can, kept it down and stayed in one spot for over 12 hours.
When I got the call about pancreatitis, the vet recommended a 2 night stay with and IV and treatment (pain management, anti nausea, and fimodadine) I took her in and spoke to the vet of my reluctance and she assured me that she thinks that’s the best treatment. All her other blood work is great. I really didn’t want her to get an IV and asked about home treatments. The vet was nice and offered to give me her blood work panel and take it somewhere else. I agreed to treatment but one day at a time. I’m fearful of this becoming similar to my experience with Ellie. I do feel much more comfortable and confident with this new vet. She’s there now and I’m hopeful.
That being said, I can’t help but wonder if things would have been different for Ellie there instead of that horrid horrid experience with the other vet.
I still miss Ellie so much!!! I love my Daphne and my new baby Brigitta but Ellie was my soul pet.
I’ll be sure to post tomorrow or the day after for a Daphne update

Ellie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone reading this has any experience with feline pancreatitis please let me know your story, treatment and diet. Brigitta is on the royal canine gastrointestinal dry food exclusively. Daphne toggles between can food with extra gravy and some dry food. I know she’ll need a stricter diet. I’ll let you all know what the vet recommends when I talk to her tomorrow. Treatment is day to day so I’ll get an update tomorrow and hopefully I can bring her home, although since she already has the IV perhaps and 2nd day with be best. What are your thoughts?

Ellie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To anyone who reads this an update about Daphne;
The vet called me this morning and said that’s she’s doing great and can come home today. When I picked her up she had medication and some d/I cans of food I needed to purchase. They had me settled up my tab and gave me the meds. The receptionist hastily went over the dosage and I ask if I would be speaking to the dr. They put me in a room and I waited for Daphne. When the vet walked in she seemed annoyed and made some remark about what I needed. I asked her is Daphne was ok and she responded, “I told you that on the phone” I responded that she didn’t mention medication and I wanted to know how long Daphne would need it and if she was ‘healed’ she seemed so annoyed and kept giving generic responses and repeating herself.
I question everything due to my previous experience. She initially wanted a two day stay but said that Daphne ate her first day there and today. Her information wasn’t making sense and she just seemed so annoyed when I questioned the timeline. For instance. When I arrived they gave me the meds but when they brought Daphne she was foaming at the mouth. I asked her what happened and she said she didn’t respond well to a medicine. I asked when it was administered and she replied ‘just now’ so then I asked if this was one of the meds prescribed to Daphne and she said no bc she didn’t respond to it well but they already gave me the meds. So how did they know if they JUST gave it to her. The vet proceeded to say there’s nothing she’s doing there that I can’t do at home. I told her nicely
I wouldn’t mind two nights if it was necessary, but again she responded shortly that if she thought Daphne needed another she’d say so. At this point I just feel that she didn’t want Daphne there.
At this point I don’t think she needed an IV and overnight stay. Especially if she was eating. This is incredibly disappointing because I really want to have faith in vets because I love my cats so much and want to do anything I can to keep them happy and comfortable when ill.
Again, I was quoted a price and when I look at the itemizing, I was charged for injections even though she was on an IV. I doubt they gave her both. I am noticing that vets now just give you a number then itemize afterward.
Daphne is home now and clearly ‘drugged up’ she seems disoriented and spaced out. I can’t help but question if all this was necessary.
She’s eating but I know she’s on meds and I won’t really know how she’s feeling for another week or so. I have a liquid steroid, anti nausea and a pain pill for her twice a day for 3 days then once a day till finished.
I hope Daphne is recovered soon and back to her old self.
This whole experience is so disheartening.