Lethargic 9 week old kitten

nickybow86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 9 week old is very lethargic today , still eating small amounts but reduced urine output. We found her 3 weeks ago abandoned by the side of the road and had to bottle feed her for 1 week .. I have had her in vets 4 times already for worming and blood in her stools. She still has some blood but vets think it's irritation from the parasites. I'm concerned something is wrong, she has just slept all day long , no interests in toys or playing. It's 26th December so all vets are closed and I don't know if this is considered an emergency. I might wait until morning to ring if she is still the same. Could she just be tired ? Or growth spurt ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have a bacterial infection in her intestines that may require meds. Although she has been wormed, that does not account for bacterial infection.

Her sleeping and not eating much indicate that she does not feel well. I’d get her back to the vet tomorrow and discuss bacterial intestinal infection.

Do keep us posted, and thanks for rescuing her!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our 9 week old is very lethargic today , still eating small amounts but reduced urine output. We found her 3 weeks ago abandoned by the side of the road and had to bottle feed her for 1 week .. I have had her in vets 4 times already for worming and blood in her stools. She still has some blood but vets think it's irritation from the parasites. I'm concerned something is wrong, she has just slept all day long , no interests in toys or playing. It's 26th December so all vets are closed and I don't know if this is considered an emergency. I might wait until morning to ring if she is still the same. Could she just be tired ? Or growth spurt ?
Agree with SArthur. Not super emergency, but something is there, and possibly an antibiotica against bacteria is in order.

During the time, handfeed her with fluids... Pedialyte is good, as much as she can get. Otherwise try with goats milk or kmr.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you taken her temp? A fever can make her lethargic. 105 is concerning, 107 is dangerous. If you don't know how to test with a rectal thermometer, use an ear one. If she has a fever, put alcohol on a cloth and rub the inside of her ears, the foot pads and her belly. It will cool her somewhat as it evaporates. However, if she is still lethargic after 2 days, she needs to see a vet as soon as they open.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you taken her temp? A fever can make her lethargic. 105 is concerning, 107 is dangerous. If you don't know how to test with a rectal thermometer, use an ear one. If she has a fever, put alcohol on a cloth and rub the inside of her ears, the foot pads and her belly. It will cool her somewhat as it evaporates. However, if she is still lethargic after 2 days, she needs to see a vet as soon as they open.
Yes, excellent advices. Re termomether, a classical termometer for measuring in the armpit under the front leg is OK too, just to remeber the temp there is 3F or 1C lower than the rectal temp... so if it shows say 100F the real temp in the behind is about 103F.

Its not as exact but good enough. Also less invasive.... and you can pretend you are playing... :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is this going with your kitten??? Please report...