Let them out when I'm at work... Or not?!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey all!!

I find myself being a bit of a nervous / helicopter cat parent. Help!!

I have had a catio built for my indoor bubs, there's a thread hanging around with a bunch of pics :). It got finished late Dec. The idea was that once I was sure they were OK and happy going in and out it would be 24/7 access. However ....

a) I can't yet let them out without having to go and look at the run even though logically I know that nothing will have changed (ie it won't have fallen down overnight). Yes, regular checks are needed to ensure that all is OK but it's really, really well built.

b) So far I have been leaving it open on the weekends (closed overnight). Two of them (Anubis and Feora) have been beetling in and out quite happily when they want to. I don't think Dari has yet gone out.

I have left it open to them whilst I've run errands - for instance on Sunday I was out for a couple of hours.

But at moment I just can't seem to get myself to leave it open for them while I'm away at work during the day. I leave around 8.45am and get home anytime between 5-7pm depending on how busy I am. So out of 7 days they're not getting much access.

It's completely secured. The access door (for me!) is padlocked. My back garden / area as a whole is gated off from the carport and enclosed completely by standard 6ft fencing.

Surely they'd be fine?? I'm not sure that I even know what I think would happen. Am I being over protective?

Do any of you with similar situations let your cats freely access a run / catio when you're out all day?

Thoughts welcome - do I just need a kick?! Lol!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have coyotes or roaming dogs in your area (or maybe racoons, but you don't have food out there right?), I guess that is something to think about. Other than that, just inspect it once a week and worry about other stuff if you can. Its always possible to be safer inside the house, so you can put the worry to good use. Its the risks that you aren't thinking of that usually cause problems. I'd say it is more likely your cat will find something dangerous to eat in house than get out of the catio. Just don't go the opposite way and completely take it for granted. Given enough time, your cats are certainly capable of causing unexpected structural problems or loose screws. I would think checking it once a week or so at first would be a good idea -- make sure it comes through the winter freeze/thaw cycle ok, for example.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's locked and well-built, I don't see any difference between that and being indoors (a window could break. . .). So maybe just work yourself up to it. Leave them out when you go shopping for a couple hours, etc. And then if everything is fine, maybe you could feel more confident giving them access on workdays.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Test it on weekends, when you are home but can still check on them periodically. Also, the camera is not a bad idea even you don't leave them with access, just to see what other critters are 'lurking' around. I have a screened in patio that I have left open for Feeby while I go run errands for a couple of hours, but still have always been hesitant to do so if I am gone as long as you are.

Do you have anyone in your neighborhood that would be willing to open/shut the access for a couple of hours a day, just to give them a bit of time out while you are working? Maybe some sort of 'trade favor for favor' deal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. Had a cat run years ago for Bengals and that was just open 24/7 and I never really worried about them. And really nothing much happened. Apart from the odd frog! And once (in roughly10 years) I think someone maybe got stung.

To be fair though my current cats all seem to be right pickles.

I'm in the UK so very little to worry about in terms of loose animals. Maybe other cats during the day and that's about it. That wouldn't be different between weekday and weekend though.

Overnight, very slim possibly of the odd fox but they'd have to come in over the fencing and I don't think they really jump? (plus which they would need to come through the gardens that back into mine, though separated by a path, and which also have the same fences).

No food out there.

Don't really know any of my neighbours well enough and actually I'd be far, far more worried about them not shutting the door properly and someone getting out past them. Mine aren't really 'door dashers' but Feora is incurably curious. And, the access flap for them for the catio is right at the bottom of the stairs next to the front door...

I think I will, as suggested, just have to build up to it. Slowly. Lol. Perhaps by the summer we'll be good!! ;)

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I leave mine open all the time. The cats sleep a lot of the day. When I was nervous about coyotes and other cats, I doubled the lower level with screening/fencing. The cats have the option to retreat to their safe places in the home/shed. I too was nervous about leaving it open, however, cats are less active in the afternoon....at least where I am. It becomes a routine for them, as well as us.