Less food in canned products?

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one who has notced that there is less actual food in canned food.
  This has been going on for about a year now, it appears that the "big" cat food people are adding liquid to the 5.5 oz cans to fill them up.  Wellness, for instance, always was completely filled with food now there is always a space in the can filled with some kind of liquid. I actually had some cans that when shook, you could hear the food sloshing around in the can - I now always shake the cans before I purchase.  Trader Joe's brand of cat food is filled completely with food and at .69 a can is becoming a much better deal than the higher priced brands because you are getting 5.5 oz of food and no extra liquid.

The 5.5 oz cans of food were always sufficient to feed my two girls in the past, now sometimes, they eat all the food and look for more.  I know that is because the amount of food in the can is less than in the past where when you bought a 5.5 oz can that is how much food you got.  Very annoying.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when the cans were acctually 6 ounces, not 5.5 ounces.  The Friskies loaf style doesn't slosh, and I don't use any of the other styles because only the loaf style doesn't have wheat gluten in it.