Lesions: Surgical Removal & Moisturizer for Skin

Black&White

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, we are just in the process of trying to find a vet who can surgically remove 2-3 lesions, I have attached photos of the largest one on her chest, and a smaller black one near her mouth. These are the most resistant and after 8 months of applying Imiquimod cream every two days, they are still exactly the same. Most new spots that appear will disappear after 2-3 applications within 1-2 weeks. Our usual vet said he could remove the largest one on her neck, due to the elastic quality of the skin, but he did not comment on the smaller one near her mouth. I would be interested to have some feedback about this, what sort of things to consider.

We tried to have laser ablation done but were refused due to a heart condition.

The lesions are from Bowen's disease, we apply Imiquimod cream every two days to keep them at bay. More recently I have started applying unscented hand cream to them, and found this helps to prevent the scabs from forming and to keep the skin soft. I also wondered if this might help with the absorption of the Imiquimod, we have been applying it for over 8 months, and I assume that it must dry out the skin. So, I was also wondering if there might be something better to use as a moisturizer, perhaps baby oil?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Maybe B babiesmom5 , with whom you 'spoke' in 2020 when your cat was first diagnosed, might have some more information for you regarding moisturizers? I did a search on this site for Bowen's and beside your thread back then, the only other was from 2017 and the poster is no longer active.

Hopefully, some other members will soon see your post and have some input to offer.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not use moisturizer near her mouth simply because she could easily lick it and it might contain some ingredients not so good for her. How about using coconut oil? That should work just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Black&White

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I don't use it near her mouth, just on the big one on her chest and other areas. I was also using aloe from a plant we have, that works quite well. But yes coconut oil is a good idea, we also have MCT oil. I imagine that if the skin is more fully moisturized, that the medicine cream will absorb more deeply perhaps?