Lesions On The Body Of Tnrd Feral

taryn1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are in the process of TNRing a colony of 25 cats. Almost halfway through, my partner and I have grown fond of one of the friendlier females, who we spayed, vaccinated and returned 4 weeks ago. We noticed she’s sustained lesions on her back (prior and post clinic care) over the last 6 months. While I can’t rule out ringworm, I don’t see any noticeable markings on or near her face and neck. The wounds seem to heal moderately over time but new ones are constantly showing up. We’re close enough that we monitor her and the shelter and haven’t seen any fighting, or anything else suspicious first hand.

We know we can trap her again and bring her into our clinic. I wanted to post here first and see if anyone had any advice or first hand experience with this specific issue when helping ferals. Photos are cached for reference. Thanks in advance for your help.
A50CB578-B61B-492E-9F1C-F7E0FB2B0508.jpeg

Attachments

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor girl! Glad you're looking out for her. Could it be caused by fleas? Taking her to the clinic sounds like a good idea. It'll be interesting to hear what you find out and what other members have to say.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless her. Thank goodness she has you guys! I would say if Ringworm, some (or all) of the rest of the colony would be symptomatic. Do you apply flea/tick preventative to her? Just wondering if flea allergy? I have a gal with flea allergies and it takes just one bite to get her all festered even w flea/tick prevention. But yes, a visit to the vet is in order for the sweet gal. Best of luck and please let us know the outcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor girl! Glad you're looking out for her. Could it be caused by fleas? Taking her to the clinic sounds like a good idea. It'll be interesting to hear what you find out and what other members have to say.
Thanks for your reply. It could be a flea allergy, we will have to try to capture her within the next two weeks. I will follow up and report back, fingers crossed for her!

taryn1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless her. Thank goodness she has you guys! I would say if Ringworm, some (or all) of the rest of the colony would be symptomatic. Do you apply flea/tick preventative to her? Just wondering if flea allergy? I have a gal with flea allergies and it takes just one bite to get her all festered even w flea/tick prevention. But yes, a visit to the vet is in order for the sweet gal. Best of luck and please let us know the outcome.
Thank you for your reply. No sign of this on any of the others in the colony. May be a tick or flea allergy? Will have to take her in within the next two weeks. I’ll be sure to report back!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve seen this before on one of my rescues. A precious part Siamese female developed similar looking sores. We thought fleas as well. Took her to two vets. Neither one could arrive at a conclusion but both did feel it was allergic in nature. The sores would appear as bumps under the skin, erupt as sores, dry up and appear elsewhere. She, like you’re baby would have several at a time. Never found flea association, she never acted like they itched or bothered her. We tried cortisone shots which seemed to offer a little relief. Money was tight so we never were able to do blood work which might have allowed a more definitive diagnosis. She was surrendered to a no kill Siamese cat rescue group in Kansas City so we lost track. Group group of rescuers, by the way for any Siamese. Wish I could offer more. Please keep us posted.

taryn1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve seen this before on one of my rescues. A precious part Siamese female developed similar looking sores. We thought fleas as well. Took her to two vets. Neither one could arrive at a conclusion but both did feel it was allergic in nature. The sores would appear as bumps under the skin, erupt as sores, dry up and appear elsewhere. She, like you’re baby would have several at a time. Never found flea association, she never acted like they itched or bothered her. We tried cortisone shots which seemed to offer a little relief. Money was tight so we never were able to do blood work which might have allowed a more definitive diagnosis. She was surrendered to a no kill Siamese cat rescue group in Kansas City so we lost track. Group group of rescuers, by the way for any Siamese. Wish I could offer more. Please keep us posted.
Interesting. Thank you for your response. Part of our fear is that she will need multiple visits before we receive a proper diagnosis. All this, and she is feral. We have only been able to pet and spend time beside her. I’m nervous of putting her out/in out/in with visits. Currently between apartments and can’t permanently bring her in. I refuse to bring her to a kill shelter. Such a tough spot but trying to stay positive and hopeful. Really appreciate your feedback and I will keep in touch.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How is the sores? Any better, worse? Just concerned