Leo: Just a tabby or maybe a little Maine Coon mixed in there?

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so excited, I've never posted in this section before because my cats are all mixed breeds. Leo, an abandoned adult we recently took in, intrigues me though. I'm sure he's a mix, too, but the more I look at him, the more I think I'm seeing some interesting traits. So, I am wondering what type of mix he may be and hoping you all can help. :)

He's got big paws for his size and a large neck and head. He doesn't look bigger than our other cats, as he is only 11 pounds, but when he stands next to one of them, his neck and head are noticably larger. Along with his medium length fur, this makes me think Maine Coon. But he's not a big cat, so I'm not sure.
There is something different about his eyes and face that I can't put my finger on. Sometimes, he looks a bit cross-eyed, but I think that may be from an old injury. We think his vision in his left eye might be compromised. Maybe his eyes are close together? The other thing is his posture. His back appears to have a distinct arch in it. Here are some photos:

In this one, you can see his odd posture. His fur looks funny because I had just trimmed tons of mats from it a couple days earlier, the poor guy.

His left eye is wonky in this one, but it's not always like that. He has lots of freckles(?) on his nose and lips.

His paws look normal-sized in this pic because of the camera angle. The last pic shows their size better.

I don't have any good full-body shots because every time I get down low to take one, he comes up to me for love and ruins the shot. :D He's such a sweet guy, super lovey, with the classic male orange tabby personality. He is also very social with new people and very talkative. But is he just a tabby? Something about him looks really different from the three others I've had.

Also, after the mat removal, the fur on his tail did not grow back in as thick and long as it was. We found him in the spring, so was that maybe his winter coat? His tail looks so full and fluffy in the first pic, it is not like that now.

Thank you!

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous boy you have!

Rather than a Maine Coon, I would earlier suspect some Norwegian Forest Cat influence. At least, when looking at the profile that would come to mind. His profile is too straight for a Maine coon, even after some mixings I would still suspect at least some more profile than he has now. He has a rather straight profile, much like a Norwegian.  The same goes for the frontal view. Maine Coons are kind of "square" and "large", while yours seems more triangular. Again something that would fit a Norwegian.

With mixes you can really never truely know by just looking at the cat, but this is what I would guess. I'm pretty sure there is no Maine Coon in him, or at least not in the last couple of generations.

I hope his fur will come back properly the upcoming winter. He is still beautiful as he is now, but it would be nice to see a nice suit of fur on him :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! I really appreciate your taking the time to look at my Leo. And thank you for the lovely compliments, I've passed them on to him. :)

I'd never heard of the Norwegian Forest Cat and looked up some images online. I can definitely see what you are saying about his face shape! And I can also see why his eye shape and spacing kept standing out to me. It's like he has the faintest echo of the eye shape of the purebred NFCs, just enough for me to tell something was different about him. I found a great site that shows and explains the difference between NFCs and MCs and the history of both breeds. It was very informative and interesting, and I enjoyed learning about the breeds.

Leo is a very special guy who brings me and my husband great joy. We are so grateful he came into our lives. In fact, we think he was meant to be our kitty. The living situation at our old rental house was very unpleasant, due to horrible roommates. We lived there just long enough to meet Leo and to build enough of a trust bond with him to be able to move him with us to our new place. The timing was perfect and all of us are very happy in our new house.

Once again, thank you for you help! :clap: