Leo And Link Rescues, What Breed Do They Resemble?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These pictures are a bit small so it's hard for me to see details, but I would describe both of these cats as brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthairs. It's normal in mackerel tabbies for some of the stripes to be broken up into spots. For the kitty on the right in these pictures, it looks like more stripes are broken up into spots, so you might describe the tabby pattern as "broken mackerel" (some stripes and some spots, but more spots).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Edi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These pictures are a bit small so it's hard for me to see details, but I would describe both of these cats as brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthairs. It's normal in mackerel tabbies for some of the stripes to be broken up into spots. For the kitty on the right in these pictures, it looks like more stripes are broken up into spots, so you might describe the tabby pattern as "broken mackerel" (some stripes and some spots, but more spots).
I intend to have all four of my kittens DNA tested, as I feel like I'd like to know about their ancestry, and also to see if all of my research has paid off. Leo, (I named him Leo, because on first sight, he reminded me of a leopard) and Link's spots make me think of some Bengals, but their personalities are like Devon Rexes, very loving, affectionate, and they are always nearby. They are not afraid of anyone new. When I use Google lens, it pulls up Dragon Li and Egyptian Mau cats. I know that most cats, unless bred with papers, are considered DSH or DHL, just as dogs are defined by their breeding. I just would like to think my kitties are special, and that I won the kitty rescue lottery, so, I am guessing the only way to prove it to myself is through DNA testing.

Edi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_20190908_153304322.jpg

This is an up close of Leo.

Last edited by a moderator:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone who rescues a wonderful kitty like yours has "won the kitty rescue lottery." I truly don't understand why people think it would be any more "lucky" if their cat has some kind of specific breed ancestry. There's nothing inherently better about a pedigreed kitty compared to a domestic shorthair.

I'm not seeing any specific breed ancestry in your pictures... Lots of domestic shorthairs have that appearance. "Google lens" is not a good way to identify cats. The Dragon Li breed doesn't even exist outside of China.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone who rescues a wonderful kitty like yours has "won the kitty rescue lottery." I truly don't understand why people think it would be any more "lucky" if their cat has some kind of specific breed ancestry. There's nothing inherently better about a pedigreed kitty compared to a domestic shorthair.

I'm not seeing any specific breed ancestry in your pictures... Lots of domestic shorthairs have that appearance. "Google lens" is not a good way to identify cats. The Dragon Li breed doesn't even exist outside of China.
:yeah:

Also, those DNA tests are a waste of money tbh. There is not enough data available for them to be accurate. Even the human ones are questionable.

Edi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I enjoy my kittens whether they're a certain breed or not. Certainly there must be some merit to DNA testing or else what's the point? Hmm...

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy my kittens whether they're a certain breed or not. Certainly there must be some merit to DNA testing or else what's the point? Hmm...
Well, the DNA companies make money and collect personal data.... that’s the point. :)

Edi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies and input.

Here's another view of my handsome boys!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DNA testing is important when you need the result for decision making. For example, if you have an Abyssinian cat that you are considering breeding, and you want to make sure it is not a carrier of the gene for pyruvate kinase deficiency.